20120604

1988

In May 1988, George Shultz met with the Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze in Geneva to discuss a missile treaty. At the bookstores, Tom Wolfe's 'The Bonfire Of The Vanities' was a best-seller. In sport, Martina Navratilova won back-to-back tennis titles in Florida and declared, "I'm not feeling 31. It doesn't matter who's No. 1 now, it's at the end of the year that counts and I'm right on schedule. Consistency is the key." In music, 'Never Gonna Give You Up' by English singer Rick Astley topped the European and American songs charts. "I took up drums around 15," the then 21-year-old shared. "I started recording in December 1986, three songs. One was 'Never Gonna Give You Up', the first single...It sounds as if it is low (notes)...I prefer to sing lower; it feels better and suits better. I think I've always had this sort of tone to my voice. A lot of my favorite singers are black guys...I like a white artist's voice with a soulful approach." On TV, Linda Gray co-starred in the movie, 'The Gambler III – The Legend Continues'. "I was outside most of the time," she said. "It was a wonderful departure because...visually it's totally unlike Sue Ellen (on 'Dallas')." Linda played a Sioux Indian.

"Everybody's been so worried the past few years about what's going to happen when Chris and Martina are no longer competing," Chris Evert made the comment. "I don't think anybody is going to have to worry about it any more. Women's tennis is in a very healthy state right now." After playing Monica Seles at the International Players Championships, Gabriela Sabatini acknowledged, "I'd never seen her play before...I was a little surprised...She's got a very good opportunity to become a good player. She's very good for 14." Of the International Players Championships, Butch Bulchholz pointed out, "The tournament is 4 years old and it takes a while to get entrenched. All I can say is we'll survive." Gaby defeated Chris and Steffi Graf for the first time in her career in 1988. "It's not easy to explain," she later confessed. "I just can't believe that I won. Now, it's real." Zina Garrison believed, "Tennis is 90% mental." Steffi conceded, "I have to...keep telling myself to concentrate." Gaby added, "To try to win against Graf, I have to concentrate from the beginning..."

Bruce Boxleitner starred in 'The Gambler'. He made the remark, "The differences in the industry between 1946 and 1988 are enormous. Today, time is our enemy. In 1946, they shot the movie in 4 months. Our budget allowed us 21 days. In 1946, you could get 3,000 head of cattle. Today, we were lucky to get 300 head and we had to use a lot of stock footage of bald-faced cattle, cattle that weren't even in this country during the time of the great trail drives." Bruce also stated, "It is enormously expensive to use even 300 cattle in a movie. You have to be able to get them out where you are shooting but you also have to be able to feed them every day. And as the guys on our film found out, cows don't turn around like a car when the director says 'Cut'. If you mess up a scene, you have to spend a lot of time getting them back and starting over. No film budget these days can handle a long shooting schedule with all those cattle, so there was a great amount of pressure on the actors and crew to make every scene count." Of scenes on 'Simon & Simon', Gerald McRaney expressed, "It's entertaining and it gives you a few yucks on a Thursday evening, maybe it picks up your day if you’re feeling down. But I really want to be doing things that have more to do with the way people live their lives, with trying to make them a little bit better. There's been so damn much stuff done that's just depressing." Of 'The Gambler', Bruce remembered, "We were filming in Arizona in the winter, when the days were short. We were always fighting against the loss of daylight. You'd better not mess up. You've got horses, cattle, wagons, extras, big scenes, all depending on you do it right the first time."

Blog Archive