20120623

LLOYD BRIDGES

Between 1957 and 1961, Lloyd Bridges could be seen in 'Sea Hunt'. "In those days," Lloyd recalled, "actors worried about doing a series. They felt it typed them. I was worried because I had been a serious actor. I'd studied Greek drama and Shakespeare. I went to New York to do classical drama but nobody was doing Shakespeare. I had to unlearn what I had been taught and muddy up my diction to get work. After 'Sea Hunt', I started getting starring roles on Broadway and in the movies." In one movie, Lloyd played Benjamin Franklin. John Conboy noted, "Young people absorb bad habits from their theatrical coaches. They accumulate theatricality from teachers. Their techniques are unnatural."

In 1975 Lloyd played 'Joe Forrester', a character originated from the 'Police Story' series. "With the pressures and compromises of series television, you can't do your best work," he remarked. However "I've always loved acting. It's a great profession, although precarious." Of career path Lloyd believed, "...I guess it's getting your foot in the door early and then it's up to the person...I didn't believe you should wait and learn the craft over a long period of time. I'd done that myself and it wasn't much fun." In 1978 he narrated 'World War II: GI Diary'. From the outset Lloyd made known, "It's not something to be romanticized. It's a lousy way to settle our differences in the world." The series, he said would "show the war through the eyes of the GIs themselves." Lloyd maintained narrating was a useful skill to have for an actor, "It's definitely part of your work as an interpreter. Everybody can express a line differently. It's amazing what you can do with a phrase." Beau Bridges made plain, "I see myself as a communicator. I like to associate myself with jobs I can feel good about...I tried (directing) first with a musical that a friend wrote...I had been doing narrations..."

In 1984, Lloyd co-starred with Morgan Fairchild in 'Paper Dolls'. Based on the popular 1982 pilot movie, Morgan who was a former model shared, "I know about the cutthroat things that go on. It's a very tough business. It's very New York, very intense work..." Douglas Barr pointed out, "In the early days, it leaned more toward the gay side and I had to deal with that because people would assume that I must be gay if I was in that business." Antony Hamilton became a model after a Russian photographer took pictures of him and gave him the prints, "I considered acting but then I took the pictures to a modeling agency and was hired on the basis of that...(Ballet) dancing was too confining and regimented for me. It was like living life with one hand tied behind your back." Sunny Griffin made the comment, "Modeling is a 2 dimensional profession. I've done everything I can in the field. As an actress, there's no limit. There's always a new part to explore." Morgan confessed, "I loved being in 'Paper Dolls'. The writing was good." Doug emphasized, "Basically we are making entertainment here and this is celluloid for fun. It is not your life; it's the business you are in."

Leonard Goldberg recounted, "When we started shooting in New York (during the 1984 summer Olympics) we were just another show clogging up traffic. Then the promos started appearing on ABC and in a few days we had thousands of spectators on our locations..." Lauren Hutton appeared in the last 5 episodes of 'Paper Dolls'. "(Films) use more of 'you' than modeling does," Lauren voiced. "There's much more work involved in acting and you've got to do more thinking." She turned 50 in 1993. On turning 50, she enthused, "Who wants to be 20? You don't know anything. All you do is wonder and worry. 'Will he like me? Will he call?' I don't miss it one bit." Of show business, Mimi Rogers made the observation, "Acting by its nature is an unpredictable and ephemeral business. If you need to have the next 10 years mapped out, this is not the profession to be in." Connie Stevens offered, "Success is momentary. You should appreciate it while it's there but must prepare yourself for the time it's gone. You can only do that by seeking real friendships – and putting money in the bank to support your family when the success ride is over."

Blog Archive