20111017

THE FALL GUY

At Los Angeles International Airport, Lee Majors met producer Glen A. Larson. "I was on my way to South America on vacation and Glen was on his way to Hawaii," Lee recounted. "We met in the airport lounge and he asked me if I’d be interested in a series again."

"As a kid growing up in Los Angeles," Glen shared, "I used to put on radio shows and act them out."

That series was called The Fall Guy and it ran between 1981 and 1986. "I never had a chance to do comedy before," Lee enthused.

"Television is notorious for casting people who can play themselves," Douglas Barr observed.

"I’ve heard all the 'bionic man' jokes there are," Lee added.

Of her character, Heather Thomas described, "She’s not 'T and A' and she's not a love interest to Lee Majors. Jody is attempting to make it as a stunt girl, and she is over enthusiastic to compensate for the fact that she is a girl....She's Lee's protégé and takes him very, very seriously."

On The Fall Guy, Lee maintained, "We hope to show the professional side of stunt men, rather than the daredevil aspect. We want to show that it is a stunt, an illusion created with special equipment and great skill and training."

"TV is the only place in this country that tells kids crime doesn't pay," Glen remarked. "You don’t see it in the movies, you don’t see it on the news and you don’t see it in real life."

Douglas Barr believed, "Television, in general, is tempering violence. I think it would have come about of its own accord....Our show is fun and it's good television."

"The star cameos in every episode were more or less my idea," Lee said.

When Richard Burton was invited to make a cameo appearance on The Fall Guy, he replied, "Cameo? Why not a guest appearance?"

Blog Archive