20111015

I'M A BIG GIRL NOW

Friday, October 31, 1980: I'm A Big Girl Now premiered.

From the makers who brought viewers The Golden Girls, Diana Canova and Danny Thomas starred.

"This is Diana's show," Danny emphasized from the outset. "I’m just there to help her."

He also made the comment, "I figured we'd never make it on Friday night against a big soap opera like Dallas." However he pointed out, "We did well in the first outing."

It was noted Dallas did not return on air until November 7, 1980.

"Look," Danny said on reflection, "I've been on top with the numbers, I've been on bottom with the numbers. So it's not sour grapes when I say that I don't believe in the Nielsen ratings."

Of I'm A Big Girl Now, Danny recounted, "It was (my son) Tony who suggested the show to me....He told me his company had an idea for Diana Canova, who had been very big on Soap.

"I had sworn after The Practice that I would never again try a weekly series. I loved that show. To me it was Paul Muni in The Last Angry Man, with laughs....We did 27 shows, of which 22 got on the air. NBC, in all its wisdom, declined to broadcast the last 5."

I'm A Big Girl Now lasted 19 episodes.

Of Diana, Danny disclosed, "Mostly I tell her what I always told my own daughter, Marlo: 'Take the risk on your own instincts, not somebody else's say-so."

Danny Thomas founded the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee in 1962. He explained, "My relationship with St. Jude Hospital goes back many, many years. It all began with a vow I made in the depths of suffering and despair."

The name St. Jude was chosen because "it was at this time that I heard about St. Jude, the saint of the helpless. It was the month of June 1940, on a Wednesday afternoon. I walked into a church and I began talking to myself. Since St. Jude was called the forgotten saint, I said to myself that since he helped me, maybe I could make him the less forgotten saint."

Pope Paul the 6th awarded Danny with the Knight Commander of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre.

Of the programs on TV at the time, one network programs executive pointed out, "Television is a very moral-based medium. Every network has a highly moralistic tone, there’s no question about it."

When pressed, the programs executive expressed, "I swear to God this never occurred to me, that we were loading up our schedule with sexually-whatever shows. I’m amazed.”

Blog Archive