20120531

CONNIE CHUNG, BRYANT GUMBEL

Between 1993 and 1995, Constance Yu-Hwa (Connie) Chung became the only second woman since Barbara Walters in 1976 to co-anchor a network evening newscast. In addition she would also host the 'Eye To Eye' magazine show. Network news in those days were described as the pinnacle of broadcast journalism. Connie began her career in TV news in 1969. In 1971 she started reporting from Washington D.C. along with Lesley Stahl, Bernard Shaw and Ed Bradley. In 1983 she joined NBC to host the 'Today' show lead–in program, 'Sunrise'. Early morning newscasts attracted roughly 4% of the 84 million TV households at the time. "The research says the audience is there," one producer pointed out. Connie would also get to take part in the election coverage. "I felt if I didn't go out there and seize 1984," Connie reasoned of her decision to join NBC, "I would miss it like I did 1980 and 1976."

In 1982, Bryant Gumbel became the first black network morning anchor when he joined the 'Today' show. Bryant's TV career started in sports in 1972. On reflection, he conceded, "I've never tried to hide the fact that I think I got started because I was black." Connie moved to CBS in 1989 to host 'Saturday Night' later renamed 'Face To Face'. "I happen to be very Americanized but I'm still Chinese," Connie insisted. Bryant added, "I think it would be not only naive but very conceited of me, to think that NBC in Los Angeles would have reached half-way across the country for an inexperienced, 22-year-old simply because they thought he was an absolute fabulous person. They were probably looking for somebody black, period. I'll accept that. Since then I think it would be very difficult for even my most severe critic to suggest that the jobs I've gotten and the jobs I've held are because I'm black. I say that because they've been positions of such prominence that it's not the kind of job you would put somebody in for a sense of tokenism." Maury Povich made the point, "She has broken more barriers than anyone that has ever worked in the business. Every Asian-American woman on the air today owes her job to Connie Chung...." Talking to Oprah Winfrey, Bryant made the observation, "If Ted Koppel, Barbara Walters and Bryant Gumbel asked the same question of the same official in the same tone of voice, Ted would be viewed as prepared, Barbara would be viewed as bitchy and Bryant would be viewed as arrogant."

By the time Connie joined Dan Rather to present the CBS News, only one in 13 adults under 35 bothered to watch broadcast news. "Statistics scare the hell out of me but my suspicion is that in time, the other 12 will at some point feel the need to be connected to a national issue," Peter Jennings expressed. The pairing of Dan and Connie were viewed as "an event, as if Coca-Cola changed its packaging." One marketing executive voiced, "CBS skews to a lower income and the least-educated group...Chung may stop that slide." Dan maintained, "The most important chemistry is...between the person on the air and the person in the living room." Jane Pauley hosted the 'Today' show with Bryant emphasized, "...We are co-hosts, but he is first among equals." Bryant theorized, "I think that Jane would admit that the show has to have someone who is clearly in charge and for better or worse, I am that person."

Connie joined the '20/20' reporting team in 1997. In 1997 Bryant left the 'Today' show to host 'Public Eye' and later 'The Early Show' until 2002. "There isn't any question that today's news business has taken a turn I think is irrevocable," Connie made the remark at the time. "I don't think we should wring our hands about the direction of our industry. Maybe it's a phase and we will return to the old days but if it doesn't, I don't think any one person can turn back the clock." Connie joined CNN in 2002 claiming, "It felt very hard to go back to stories I had written before and try to retool them for the magazine again. Stories that we called tragic were no longer tragic."

Blog Archive