20120704

1967

'Brown Eyed Girl' climbed to No. 10 on the Billboard chart in 1967. In 2007, the song was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. "I need to be inspired to write," singer and songwriter Van Morrison voiced, "I need to be in a receptive mood with nothing much happening. I don't think about what I write until afterwards. It simply comes up from the unconscious and I write it down. When I've got enough material then I make an album."

Inspired by H.G. Wells's 'The War Of The Worlds', Quinn Martin gave TV viewers the series, 'The Invaders' in 1967. The show sought to explore a possible takeover of planet earth by colonists from another world. "I think the realism we are getting now is a breakthrough," Quinn observed 3 years later. "I think television lags behind the movies and will stay behind. But I think the movies have progressed so much and I think the networks and the advertisers realize you have to catch up with the times."

"Remember the real things that have occurred and then create real things when they are not there, " acting coach Lee Strasberg told students. "This is the real work of an actor. Create your own reality for yourself, not for the audience. Don't worry about the effect of what you're doing. Feel what you're doing. Think what you're doing. Do it for yourself and not for the impression you might be seeking."

Also in 1967, William Manchester wrote 'The Death of A President'. "(Jackie Kennedy) wanted a complete chronicle of the events of those terrible autumn days. I do believe I succeeded in doing that," he remarked. Walter Lippmann pointed out, "The book makes us realise how well the country was served in those days by the newspapers and the networks and we are left to wonder what American journalism could be if it were always as disinterested and as concentrated on the task of telling the true story as it was in those days." He also added, "...If historians handle it critically enough they will no doubt find here a mine of information about the circumstances of the President's death...To read the book is like scanning a painting with a microscope. It remains the same painting after the scanning is over."

Blog Archive