20130609

TELEVISION

Susan Sullivan shared, "The most interesting thing about acting – and it took me a long while to learn it and appreciate it – is when you play a new character, you get to have a whole new life...I think what happens with a lot of actors and what happens with me when I begin to work with a character, is that I tend to use primarily what is easily accessible within my own personality; within my own ken. But when you go further, and reach back historically for a character, you actually reach back within yourself. You just don't quite realize it. Certainly, when I do some research into the background of Irish women, I'm sure I'm searching within my own DNA as well."
 
Between 1981 and 1989, Susan played Jane Greer's on-screen daughter on 'Falcon Crest'. Of her character, a freelance writer named Maggie Donovan, Susan conceded, "I had reservations in the beginning...Maggie seemed only concerned with household duties...I wanted Maggie to be a woman who stayed home and brought up her kids, but one who also was her own woman...I was afraid Maggie had no unique identity – that she would just be Chase's wife. But she has maintained her own identity. I think she's a wonderful role model...well, I'd like her to vote differently than Chase in the next election." Between 1976 and 1977 Susan played a lawyer in 'Rich Man, Poor Man: Book II'.
 
Jane Greer rose to movie stardom after being spotted by Howard Hughes in 1943. By the '80s, Jane observed, "Now Jane Fonda and other actresses have busy careers after 40. But back then, we couldn't expect long careers. I remember when I was making 'Run For The Sun' in Mexico, I said to Bob Mitchum, 'I'm 30 years old and you're 40. What are we doing running through the jungle?'" Robert Foxworth played Chase on 'Falcon Crest'. He noted, "This show is so stylized that you can't get real artsy. The difference is felt by people on the show, not by the people watching it. I like actors to dig a little deeper, reach for more, not settle for the easy thing." To accommodate the short attention span of today's audience, Susan pointed out, "Something must be happening on the screen that's different every 3.2 minutes." Of 'Falcon Crest' and Co, Susan reasoned, "These are fantasy shows, escapes. This is not hard-core reality...I am more based in reality."
 
In 1995, Susan co-starred with William Devane in the political drama, 'The Monroes'. In 1992 Bill could be seen on the TV special, 'Ancient Secrets of the Bible'. Up against 'Seinfeld' and 'Caroline in the City', 'The Monroes' lasted 8 episodes. Of its lackluster ratings, Mimi Torchin remarked, "I was surprised to find how much I enjoyed it. Maybe it's just that politics is such an ugly business. It was a well-acted, pretty well-written show. Maybe it was just a question of who wants to see stories about politics and politicians." Of a woman President, Susan believed, "There's no doubt that it will happen. More women are getting involved actively in politics than ever before. And it's only a matter of time before a woman is nominated for President and elected. Kathryn (Susan's character) is what some people might call a 'political wife'. She's certainly ambitious for her husband, her family and herself. She will do whatever she has to, because she believes her family can contribute something worthwhile to the country. But, she won’t sacrifice her independence, which is something many other 'political wives' have had to do. I've been reading a book on the Kennedy women. You get a very real sense of what an Irish family is all about through their stories. And, of course, Bill Devane is Irish right down to his bones. I'm Irish and Polish. That, I feel, gives me a little bit of balance. But it's an interesting combination: being Irish, and being political. I think the Irish have a certain rhythm with each other. I feel one of the things that works well for me within the context of this show is my relationship with Bill Devane. We play off each other very well. Maybe that’s because we have these old Irish souls. If you know something about Irish history, you know they came out of very harsh lives. And it was the women, largely, who kept their families together."
 
'Ancient Secrets of the Bible' was watched by some 40 million viewers but the program drew heavy criticism for its lack of balance. One freethought activist revealed 'Ancient Secrets of the Bible' was intended to be "an entertainment show, so the purpose is not to provide balance but entertainment." It was understood, "that the average TV viewer in America is not that intelligent, so what they want is entertainment and not intellectual debate. Shows then have to be brought down on a level that will appeal to the broadest audience." The activist concluded, "I wish that somewhere out there in TV land there were those willing to fight the unpopular battle of educating the TV audience instead of just pandering to the lowest common denominator."

Blog Archive