20130713

TENNIS

"Tennis players are rare creatures," Martina Navratilova made the observation in 1993. "Where else in the world can you know that you're the best? The definitiveness of it is the beauty of it..." Umpire Hiro Yahata believed, "Tennis is the most difficult sport compared to other sports officiating. We can't throw the players out, whereas in football and soccer, you just give the player the red card..."
 
In October 1993, Martina turned 37. In the same month she also won her 1400th singles match. "I guess my goal for 1994 is to get through and still be standing," she theorized. And in November 1993, Martina won her 166th singles title. Martina had won at least one singles title every year since 1973. "I don't see anybody else playing 20-something years," Martina observed, "I've been in the twilight of my career longer than most people have had their career." Back in August 1993, Martina defeated Arantxa Sanchez Vicario to win her 165th singles title, "I wouldn't have put 2 cents on myself at the beginning of the week, but I just kept going." Arantxa was leading 5-1 in the 2nd set. Martina explained, "If you look at the whole 5-1, it looks insurmountable but she's still got to put those points together." At the same time Michael Chang defeated Stefan Edberg to win the ATP Championship. He made the comment, "I've heard of people coming back from 6-0, 5-0, 15-40 and still coming back to win matches. I always think, 'Well, if they can do it, I might as well give it a try...I think I have to allow myself opportunities and chances if I'm down, to come back. There always is that little bit of hope, no matter how much or how little it could be."

Martina maintained, "Sometimes you don't want to win a first set 6-0. You can't get any better and your opponent can't get any worse." In February 1993, she reached the final of the Virginia Slims of Chicago for the 14 times in 17 appearances winning 12 times. "The first time I played here," Martina pointed out, "Monica (Seles) wasn't even born." Monica remarked, "Martina loves this surface. It's made for her." Martina insisted, "I've heard she says the surface here favors me, but against Monica the surface doesn't matter. She's been winning on everything...It amazes me how close she hits the ball to the line. She is the most accurate player I’ve ever played against. Some players have more diverse shots but none are more accurate. She rivals men with her accuracy from both sides. If you let Monica in the door, she just blows through it. You have to take advantage of every opportunity." After winning her 164th singles title Martina said at Wimbledon, "I think I should be seeded joint number 2 with Arantxa Sanchez Vicario behind Steffi (Graf). I don’t know if that is possible but it seems the most logical."

 

Blog Archive