20130915

TELEVISION

Jaime Sommers (also known as 'The Bionic Woman') was played by Lindsay Wagner. She could be seen on TV between 1975 and 1978. Richard Anderson remarked, "...When I went into television, that's where the audience was. And in my opinion, still is (1994)."

Initially, Lindsay confessed, "I didn't want to do it...I've always felt like I was in this business for communication. I try to tell stories that will be helpful in one way or another for people. But because this was so far-fetched, I didn't get it...The fact that it's science fiction gives you the license to do anything you want to do. And I can't tell you how many women from a certain age group - they would be in their 30s now (1998), 20s and 30s - tell me about how I was their role model when they were young girls. That's one of the nicest compliments I could ask for." 

Richard observed, "Lindsay was ahead of everybody. She was ahead of her time...She was one of the first woman with her own dramatic series of that time. That took a long time to see happen on TV." Between 1973 and 1978, Richard could be seen on both 'The Six Million Dollar Man' and 'The Bionic Woman', "In 'The Six Million Dollar Man' I'm the Washington man. In 'The Bionic Woman', the Washington man...I don't think there's anything wrong with being typecast, if you are typecast in the right thing. I'm very grateful to Oscar Goldman. He's been very good to me."

Of the series, he recognized, "It's a show that doesn't go away...People grew up, as you say, with the show. They have fond memories of it...They want a show that has adventure and action, but also has a medical message. 'The Six Million Dollar Man' started out on Friday night at 8:00p.m. (from 1974-75) and then we moved to Sunday at 8:00p.m. (from 1975-78). That’s where we stayed for 3 years. Harve Bennett, the producer and writer of the show, told me he was doing some editing one day and the film was showing Steve Austin was walking fast somewhere in the scene and the editing machine got off center, it skipped and went into slow motion. By accident that famous opening and super feats all became slow motion. History was made by accident!"

 

Blog Archive