20150702

THE LOVE BOAT

'The Love Boat' ran from 1977 to 1986. The TV series was "a public relations bonanza for the cruise business", Jill Young Miller of Press News Services reported in 1989. In 1970, there were said to be only 500,000 passengers taking a cruise vacation. In 1977, the Cruise Lines International said some 825,000 had gone to sea. And by 1988, over 3 million passengers had taken a cruise. "The fastest-growing group of cruise passengers (at the time) is younger than 25. About one-third of today's (in 1989) cruisers are younger than 35." 

In 1982, Linda Evans went on "a 4-week all-expense-paid vacation, interrupted by an occasional day's work" on the Pacific Princess Line, when she guest starred on a 2-hour special of 'The Love Boat'. Linda had said, "I never dreamed acting would become my career...I think it was then ('Dynasty' 1981-89) that I finally made a commitment to acting. When I read the script, I felt Krystle was so much like me, a woman living for a man and feeling that no matter what happens, love will take care of everything." 

'The Love Boat' trip took Linda to Greece, touring the Greek Isles, the Aegean Sea, the Mediterranean, Egypt and Israel. Linda was said "signed on for the Turkish leg of the cruise." Linda recounted years later, "I suppose next to being given the key of the city there's nothing better than having a hit TV show...I was in Greece...and I didn't think they knew about it there. Thanks to 'Dynasty', I had acquired a liking for jewelry, and I wanted to get a pair of sapphire and diamond earrings...I was in a jewelry store in Greece, and they didn't take credit cards.

"I saw some beautiful ones but I didn't have enough traveler's checks with me to pay for them...so I said (to the jeweler), 'Can I use a credit card?' He said, 'No, no, just take them home and when you get there, send us a money order.' I said, 'I'm going to take them home and you're not going to take anything for them?' He said, 'Mrs. Carrington, I know you very well.' I said, 'But I'm Linda Evans, not Mrs Carrington.' He said, 'I watch you, I know you, I trust you. Take them.' I took them, and he let me leave with them...and I did pay him later...They were really expensive earrings, and he let me walk out of the store with them without paying! I don’t get that kind of respect at the 7-Eleven here (in the U.S.)!" 

In December 1983, Associated Press reported Christina Onassis had struck a deal with the Greek government and paid only 1.73 billion drachmas or $11.8 million in death duties on Aristotle Onassis' estates in Greece instead of the 3.5 billion drachmas, or $35.6 million inheritance and income taxes of claim originally made by the Greek government. The settlement ended an 8-year (from 1976 to 1983) tax battle between Christina and the Finance Ministry. Ari bought the island, Skorpios in 1962 for $60,000. The Finance Ministry valued his Greek estate in 1983 at $61 million.

Christina's lawyer Stellos Papadimitriou told the press 4 Panama-based companies owned the Greek firms that controlled Aristotle Onassis' property in Greece. Stellos Papadimitriou also pointed out Ari was a Greek born in Turkey, held an Argentine passport and was never an office resident in Greece. Christina lived mostly in Paris and Switzerland. The Onassis business empire was said "run from London, New York and Monte Carlo." A former business associate told the press at the time, "The Panamanian company arrangement was typical of Onassis. He ran all his affairs like Chinese boxes – one company owning another and controlled by a 3rd." It was reported in 1955, Ari had to pay $7 million to settle his dispute with the U.S. Department of Justice for violating U.S. shipping laws. He allegedly bought United States flagships built during World War II and "transferred their ownership to companies controlled by non U.S. citizens".  

Associated Press reported in 1977, Christina Onassis had bought Jackie Onassis out for $21 million. The figure included Jackie's $8 million share of the 325-foot luxury yacht 'Christina', and the family-owned island of Skorpios in the Ioanian Sea. It was understood, "Negotiations between lawyers representing the women began (in 1976)." Christina was said "faced hard bargaining" with Jackie "kept increasing her price." Although U.S. tax laws could take "a sizeable bite" out of Jackie's settlement, a source told the press, "I'm sure the lawyers have ironed out those details so U.S. taxes won't hurt too much." 

In April 1975, Christina Onassis "filled out an application at the U.S. Embassy in Paris to renounce her U.S. citizenship" for taxes reasons. Ari was a citizen of Greece and Argentina. Christina and Alexander Onassis were both born in New York. However Christina carried a Greek passport. Marilyn Bender of 'The New York Times' reported Christina would relinquish control of Victory Carriers Inc., which had 8 vessels flying the U.S. flag. The U.S. Maritime Administration in Washington said a trust based in the U.S. would be set up to hold Victory Carriers fleet for the benefit of the American Hospital in Paris where Ari died. It was understood "the American Hospital in Paris was a corporation chartered in the district of Columbia by Congress in 1915 to offer medical services to American citizens abroad." 

Angie Dickinson told Ian Harmer in 1984 of one dinner party she attended. Aaron Spelling was also presence. She questioned him, "Whatever happened to that script you sent me – the thing called 'Oil' co-starring George Peppard?" Aaron answered, "It's on ABC on Wednesday nights (at the time) and it's doing rather well. We changed the name to 'Dynasty.'" Angie continued, "Soon after that, I met Linda Evans on a plane and told her I'd turned down her part as Krystle Carrington. She just roared with laughter…and thanked me." Esther Shapiro created 'Dynasty'. She expressed, "When you're a writer you're writing your fantasies. You've got your little doll house. But we became producers because we wanted control." "In television," Robert Stack remarked, "it's not so much what the actor wants to do but what the audience wants him to do....There are really only 3 formulas that work well in television – lawyers, doctors and cops shows." 

One commentator pointed out, "A good police show deals with people, problems, reality and things right out of the newspapers. It's what people can identify with. The best way to take current events and put them dramatically before the public is the police show. There's no better way to deal with what life's all about." "The only way to convey ideas today," Aaron insisted in 1970, "is through dramatic action. Documentaries can't do it anymore. We have to be emotionally involved. I think maybe the real purpose of television is to entertain and within that entertainment you can at least report on what's going on. I think every show now can convey an idea."

Blog Archive