20150820

FARRAH

Farrah Fawcett starred in the TV movie, 'Silk Hope' in 1999. It was reported Farrah "found a parallel to her own life in the TV movie's theme." Farrah told the Associated Press, "You know how they say, 'You can't go home again'? Sometimes you're ready to go back home. I find that I go back home to get centered, recharged, outside the drama of not only the business but also of Los Angeles and New York City. You can get all caught up in that."

Farrah said, "I left Corpus Christi (her birthplace) when I went to the University of Texas in Austin. Halfway through my freshman year, my family moved to Houston. Even though they have lived there all that time and I visit often, I don't know Houston; I don't know the freeways. What I love about L.A.: Unless it's foggy, you can always look for the mountains and know which way you're going. I have a terrible sense of direction." 

Farrah found fame in 1976 on the TV series, 'Charlie's Angels'. "Now the publicity really taxes my life," Farrah made known in 1980. At the time Farrah was described as "a phenomenon only television could have produced." Sir Kenneth Clark told the Washington Star in 1977, "It was not until the discovery of the Venus de Milo in 1820 that the world got its first great popular image of beauty." Farrah was also "America's most popular poster girl." It was noted "Jackie Onassis, who face probably sold more magazines than any other woman in history until Farrah." (Farrah was born during the Baby Boomers years.)

Farrah recounted in 1986, "I came out with the idea of doing TV commercials, and I had a contract within 3 weeks. I was making a good salary at the age of 21 (in 1968). It all happened so fast that I wasn't really prepared for this town (Hollywood). If it hadn't happened so fast, I might not have stayed. It's great to come in as an unknown and make a name as an actress. I did it the other way: I had to grow as an actress with everyone watching. It was tough, but it made me strong of character. I think I can handle anything now (by 1986)." 

Farrah told Tom Buckley of the New York Times in 1979, "My two movies ('Sunburn' and 'Saturn 3') since 'Somebody Killed Her Husband' have given me a much clearer idea of what I'm doing as an actress. In the beginning I had a lack of confidence. I listened to other people too much, and got too much conflicting advice. For a long time I had the luxury of saying I was a beginner. I can't say that anymore, and I don't want to. And if someone says, 'You're not very good,' I know I can take it." 

Back in 1977, Betti Jane Levine of the Los Angeles Times and Washington Post News Service made the comment, "It is the hair, rather than the actress' 3 films ('Logan's Run', 'Myra Breckinridge', 'Love Is A Funny Thing'), 2 TV movies ('Murder On Flight 502', 'The Girl Who Came Gift-Wrapped') or weekly TV show ('Charlie's Angels'), for which Farrah Fawcett has become best known." Frenchman Jose Eber started working as a hairdresser in 1963. He came to the United States in 1975 because "the main reason I am in America is the freedom, especially in California. In California you can look (any way) and nobody tells you nothing. I wanted long hair. I wanted to be different. I always wanted to look different. I didn't want to look like anybody else."

Terry Head of The Lakeland Ledger reported in 1987, "In Paris Jose Eber made a name for himself at a major salon. But none of that counted in Beverly Hills, where most salons wanted employees who already had customers. A year after Eber finally landed a job, he had attracted enough attention to open his own salon." "Beverly Hills is a small town," Jose recognized. Terry continued, "Farrah Fawcett was his first famous customer. She referred others." Jose acknowledged, "Of course she made me known. That was very important, and that hairstyle, my goodness, was a major influence all over the world. In 3 months (after Farrah came) word was out I'd done Farrah. Then came Cher, Ali (MacGraw), Victoria (Principal), Linda (Gray) and Barbara Walters."

Jose told people attending the style and beauty seminar in April 1986, "It takes more than talent to become a star hairstylist. I was born with a fortunate personality to be funny and flamboyant. I never worked at it." He insisted, "The job of a hairdresser is to make a woman feel wonderful, but also to feel secure. Some women feel very intimidated when they come to my salon, and it is our job to make that woman feel secure before we do anything." Jose also mentioned, "Talent is something you're born with. Some of you were born with it and are doing very well. Some of you are struggling along without it."

Jose believed, "When you have beautiful eyes, bangs are great. It's like a picture with a frame." He also made the observation, "Men don't mind women with short hair. What men don't like is a woman who looks untouchable." Lenny Levy told the press in 1977, "Without a doubt Farrah's the hottest commercial property around. I might sell 10,000 transfers of Farrah in one week, whereas I only sell about a thousand of my next most popular item. I offer 3 different poses, but they all emphasize that phenomenal lioness-look hair. Isn't that the look glamor girls want nowadays (in 1977)?"

It was understood "before 'Charlie's Angels' went on the air a poster manufacturer signed Farrah for the now (in 1977) famous poster, with a royalty of 25 cents per poster to go to the star. As of now (in April 1977) more than 5 million posters have been sold. The poster manufacturer has stopped producing the rest of his line to keep up with demand, and in some cities consumers are signing up at stores to get a poster from future deliveries."

On reflection in 1986, Farrah made the observation, "I think the turning point came when I did the television movie, 'Murder in Texas'. It was the first time that reviewers took me seriously as an actress. After that I made a conscious effort to change what producers and directors thought of me. I did no press, I didn't work (for 2 years), I waited for projects I could believe in. Without 'Murder in Texas', I never would have been allowed to do 'The Burning Bed'. Without 'The Burning Bed', I never would have done 'Extremities.'"

Farrah and Lee Majors were married for 7 years (July 1973 to 1980). United Press International observed in 1978, "It takes a very unusual man indeed to be the husband of a national sex symbol." Lee maintained, "We want to have a child, too. But here's a girl with all the potential in the world to become a top actress and I encourage her and help as much as I possibly can. Maybe I've made some right decisions for her. Anyway, we want to put off having a baby until Farrah has taken a full shot at her career. I saw her potential for stardom 10 years ago (in 1968). If we had had a baby, it would have tied her down. She might not have had a career and it's possible she could have resented a child. We'll have a baby when the time is right for both of us. I believe destiny and fate play a large factor in everybody's life."

When she was married to Lee, Farrah hyphenated her name - until 1979. "It has nothing to do with my separation from Lee Majors. Paramount wanted me to keep the Majors but Faberge thinks it doesn’t fit very well on a perfume bottle label. Lee doesn’t care either way, so I’m all for simplifying it." Also "the 3 names became very confusing for foreign audiences. They couldn't understand exactly what my name was. When I married Lee, I used both names because I liked the name Fawcett and because I wanted to show him that I cared."

"Personology" was described as a science of determining personal characteristics by a person's face. It was founded by a Californian attorney. At a seminar on human awareness held in Dallas in 1977, expert Bruce Vaughan told Associated Press, "The arch of an eyebrow, the shape of the nose and the fullness of lips are a few of the traits that reveal a person's personality." He added, "The biggest keys are the eyes. If the white shows at the top of the pupil, the person could be very shaky. He might have a Charles Manson-type personality. But the composite is not complete until all features are analyzed. A slender face indicates a lack of self-confidence, and flat eyebrows show a need for unity. If the eyes are glazed or glossy, along with these other indicators, the person could be a psycho whose string might snap at any moment." Of Farrah Fawcett, "The square face and narrow nose show her dependence and a need for security. She is a one-man woman and chances are she'll stay with the one she has."

Blog Archive