20151016

CASHLESS SOCIETY

'Private Dancer' peaked at number 7 in the 1985 Billboard Hot 100 chart. The song was written by Mark Knopfler. Tina Turner recounted, "Mark said this song is not for a man, it's a girl's song. He recorded it but won't use it so when he put the demo on, he sung 'I'm a private dancer, dancer for money, do what you want me to do,' I told him, 'I think you're right, it's not a song for a guy'. I liked it a lot. I wasn't sure whether the girl was a hooker or a very classical private dancer but I thought I'd take it." Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry were also credited with writing the lyrics: "You keep your mind on the money, keeping your eyes on the wall. I want to make a million dollars, I want to live out by the sea. I'm your private dancer, a dancer for money - Deutschmarks or dollars, American Express will do nicely - thank you."

'Angels on the Street' was the 7th episode of the 4th season of 'Charlie's Angels' shown on November 7 1979. From 1976 to 1979, there were 45 million viewers, on average, counted watching 'Charlie's Angels': 43% men, 32% women, 13% teenagers and 12% younger children. Cheryl Ladd insisted, "We're taking a lot of flak for something we aren't. The show isn’t a 'jiggle' show . . . I think 'Charlie’s Angels', however, is a positive influence on young women." Of the 1,000 teenagers surveyed between the ages of 13 and 18, the favorite TV shows amongst the girls were 'Charlie’s Angels' (ranked 6) and 'Dallas' (ranked 13). Farrah Fawcett stressed, "The show isn't making any great statement. They've always been very careful not to do that on 'Charlie's Angels.'" Shelley Hack reasoned, "We are all in the business of entertaining viewers. Everyone has a specific right to like or dislike something. The option is not to watch anything you disagree with. It's a bit unfair though, to attempt to dissuade others from enjoying something."

Shelley played Tiffany on 'Charlie's Angels'. She described landing the part, "I was in New York working for Revlon and one evening I called my manager and he was very excited and very busy and he said that I was testing – that I was going to do a screen test – for the show ('Charlie's Angels'). We talked about the advantages of possibly doing the show and I said, 'Great, it sounds terrific'. So I flew out to California and did the test. I'd stayed in Los Angeles after the test and one morning I was just getting out of the shower when my phone rang, and my agent called and he said, 'We’ve got to be at the producers' offices in an hour'. I said, 'But I’m dripping wet!' Obviously, I put myself together very quickly . . . I was still in the producers office when I picked up the phone and called my mother in Connecticut."

Of 'Charlie's Angels', Kate Jackson acknowledged, "I knew from the beginning the show would do well but I didn’t expect it would be quite as big a hit as it is. The best thing about a hit series is that it gives you the financial independence to pick and choose good roles later on." Jaclyn Smith admitted, "I'm always astounded at the amount of money you can make in this business, but you can make money very fast and then not make it for awhile!" At the time, Jackie made money working on 'Charlie's Angels' and doing commercials, "People call me a financial wizard – well, I'm not really, but I am a bit shrewd! Real estate and antiques are 2 areas that intrigue me. My only problem is that I tend to spend a great deal of money when I'm renovating, so I have to watch it. Doubling your money here (in Beverly Hills) is finding a house where there's room for a tennis court – that's what brings in money in Beverly Hills these days (back in 1977)! I have a tendency to want to put in a brass sink instead of porcelain, but that's really ridiculous if it's just for the investment."

At the time, Jaclyn Smith was a client of Ron Samuels. Back in January 1980, Ron told Joseph Coyle of 'Money' magazine, "We (Lynda Carter and Ron) don't invest in stocks at all, and we're careful about debt. When we want to invest in something, we take out loans on money we already have in the bank. So instead of paying an interest rate of 16% or 17%, we can borrow money at 2 percentage points above the rate we receive on our savings - personal and business. We feel there is nothing better than buying land. Property keeps going up if you invest in the right areas. So we've bought some condominiums in the Phoenix-Scottsdale area. We just (in 1979) bought a 5,000-square-foot house in Palm Springs. Our house here (in Beverly Hills) has about doubled in value since we bought it less than 2 years ago (around 1978). I also like jewelry, so since I've known Lynda I've invested in diamonds - not just for her to wear, because they're usually in the bank. They've appreciated a lot."

At the time, Lynda added, "We're buying the condominiums purely for investment, and we're getting in on the ground floor - we bought some units when they were just breaking ground. We can either lease them or turn them over. They don't require a huge cash outlay since we can borrow most of the cost. And they provide us with tax benefits or income or both." Ron also mentioned, "I've collected cars - several Rolls-Royces, a Ferrari, a Cobra, cars like that. I've done it as a hobby since I was a kid. We haven't lost money because it's an appreciating market, but today (by 1980) I would not say, 'Go tie up a quarter of a million dollars in cars,' because it's foolish. I've liquidated all the cars except 4."

However Ron emphasized, "People say, 'You got lucky'. We didn't get lucky. We're hard-working people. When Lynda was filming 'Wonder Woman', she would get up at 5:00 in the morning, work all day and record an album afterward. It seems the harder we work the luckier we get." Kate Jackson told 'People' magazine in 1979, "My life was all geared to work. Even though those millions of people around the country know me and like me, they aren't in my living room at the end of the day when I'm lonely and hassled. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I was never content just to take the money and run." Aaron Spelling had said, "It’s an expensive show. We are now over $2 million in debt." On reflection, Kate remarked, "Maybe I'll kick myself and say, 'You should have stayed on the series, it was wonderful.' It wasn't easy to look a million dollars in the face and kiss it goodby, but I believe enough in myself to say, 'I'll take that risk.' I think everything is going to be fine."

Back in May 1966, Richard Paetzke of the McCann-Erickson advertising firm told the press before addressing the Spokane Advertising & Sales Association, "Man invented money because he had to have a way to record his transactions conveniently but new uses of the electronic computer make some cash never changes hands can simplify the process."

By April 1981, Michael D’Antonio of 'Boca Raton News' reported, "The boom of the 1960s and '70s is over for the credit card industry because everyone who wants them now has them. Credit cards became widely used in the 1960s. The 1980s promise an explosion in credit card and bill-paying options. Cash, checks and coins are expected to be victims of the credit war and consumers who discover free checking, the convenience of telephone bill-paying and electronic transfers will be the ultimate winners of the financial war. The 1980s will bring a strange, increasingly cashless society that might have baffled earlier generations with its many options and its technology.

"Credit experts predict the cashless society many economists envisaged in the 1950s will mature and thrive in the 1980s as new kinds of credit cards, electronic banking, telephone bill-paying and other creative credit options revolutionize the marketplace. VISA and Mastercard pioneered worldwide credit systems that allow card holders to charge purchases in shops, eateries and hotels around the world. But while the universal-use feature of the cards will remain, in the coming decade (the 1990s) services will be expanded."

Lawrence Gordon of First and Merchants National Bank clarified, "It's like a plastic check. We've not only eliminated cash, we've eliminated paper altogether. The customer doesn't even have to write a check. He just shows his card and the cost of the purchase is deducted from his account." Barbara Harrelson of the American Bankers Association elaborated, "Telephone bill-paying is continuing to grow. Younger people are more used to using computers and they trust them more. Plus the banks' capabilities are increasing as communications and computer technology get better and better."

A spokesperson for Perpetual American bank stated at the time, "We’re bucking 50 years of history of banking (dating back to the start of the Great Depression in 1929). People have been using cash and checking accounts for a very long time. Personal finance habits are a lot harder to change than the kind of toothpaste people use. I can't say that in the future we're going to have a completely cashless or check-less society (*). But with electronic banking and the likelihood that home-computer terminals will one day be widely used, I think we're going to have a less-cash and less-check society."

The public-affairs officer at Perpetual American bank made known, "Initially, people have apprehensions. But once they use it a few times, their confidence grows. All kinds of people use it; it's especially good for elderly people who can't get out. But probably younger people who are more used to computers, to trusting them, are the biggest group."

A spokesperson for the Federal Reserve Board maintained, "There is a whole raft of new ideas out there that may come into operation because of increased competition. Banking is going to completely revolutionize because of computers. Your home phone may one day act like a computer terminal connected with your bank. Everything – deposits, payments, transfers of funds – may be done right on the phone. Things are going to be a lot different, and we're trying to adjust to that fact."

(*) Business analyst John Cunniff of the Associated Press reported in April 1988: "A study made at the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco shows that cash and checks will be around for a while more. It found that 57% of families pay by check, 36% by cash and only 7% by credit cards. There are more dollars in the hands of the public now (in 1988) than ever before, says the bank’s Michael Keely. And the total is growing fast, rising to $200 billion in 1987 from $148 billion in 1983. What ever happened to the cashless society? Cash is convenient says Keely and almost everyone is likely to agree it takes less time to handle than a check or credit card. It often costs less to pay by cash. And cash is direct and uncomplicated, thus highly acceptable. But beneath all these obvious explanations is one that may apply to a host of electronic devices that have been proposed, a feeling that they're not fully understood."

Blog Archive