20151013

SHAUN CASSIDY

Shaun Cassidy was 21 years old in 1979. He told Newspaper Enterprise Association at the time, "I'm starting to feel that I'm getting over the hill. That's because my taste in music is changing very much. Disco music is the most happening thing right now (in 1979) – and I don't like it. And I feel that the kids today (in 1979) don't know music at all." 

Back in 1978, Shaun spoke to 'Pop Scene Service': "The so-called 'hip' audiences might not be my biggest audience right now (in 1978) but I feel that they're open to what I'm doing. They haven't said 'yes' to me yet, but on the other hand they haven't said 'no'. I don't want to become some kind of joke to everyone but my steadiest fans – that's no good for me or for them. The shift to a stronger sound in my music was my idea. I could keep on doing soft rock and pop, and milk that for all it's worth, but after a couple of years it wouldn’t be worth much. 

"I want my music to continually progress and become more sophisticated. Whether or not it appeals to teens and pre-teens doesn't especially worry me, because I'm convinced they'll progress along with me. There is this idea around that kids only like soft music, but that's just not true. In concert, whenever I do a fast one, the audiences go crazy. Parents may not care for my newer sound, but I know the kids like it." 

Between 1977 and 1979, Shaun could be seen on 'The Hardy Boys' series which ran opposite '60 Minutes'. "The show has made my career to a great extent," Shaun acknowledged. "When I knew I was going to try out for the part (of Joe), I went out and bought 10 'Hardy Boys' books and read them. But when I was growing up, I preferred to read Tom Swift books. To me, Tom Swift would be involved with things like rocket ships while the Hardy Boys were fooling around with a bicycle."

Shaun also made the point at the time, "We're signed to do the show for 7 years, if it runs that long. But there's no way we can do it that long. I mean, in 7 years (1985) Parker (Stevenson) will be 33. I won't be a spring chicken either and Dad Hardy could very well be Grandpa Hardy by then."

Of stardom, Shaun told 'People' magazine back in 1978, "Being on the road and having limos, airplanes and a whole support system of people can be very disorienting. I see how it can twist someone around. Some people have a moment of glory and can spend the rest of their lives wondering where the crowds have gone.

"Sure, this bubble will burst, and I'll burst it when it's time. I've been around show business a long time and I know it's ephemeral (lasting a very short time). It's Disneyland. It's not the real world. (But) I'm not a victim of anything. I'm a person who has had a certain success in business, and I'm trying not to make a big deal out of it. People who do not understand that this is a fantasy business get crazy."

Blog Archive