20160611

DYNASTY

Filmed on Stage 5 at Burbank Studios, 'Dynasty' was declared the No. 1 TV drama among women 18 to 49 years old in 1984. "We feel that 'Dynasty' should be like living your life. You don't know what's happening next," one producer explained. Over the 30 weeks ratings campaign during the 1984-85 season, 'Dynasty' attracted 25% of the 84.9 million households with television (or an average of 21.2 million TV households were counted watching). 

"Six months without 'Dynasty' is hard on our audiences," Esther Shapiro expressed. The Baby Boomers (born between 1945 and 1964) comprised some 82 million people in 2004 (or roughly one-quarter of the American public). When 'Dynasty' went on air in 1981, the Boomers I generation was reaching 40 and the Boomers II generation was approaching 30. The 1985 cliffhanger attracted a 39 share (roughly 22 million TV homes watched the episode in total). "It was beautifully shot, like a Goya painting," Esther remembered.

In 1983, Aaron Spelling became "the man who gave (ABC) 144 hours of programming" as well as the boss who sent out 1,600 pay checks a week. Joan Collins as Alexis made the comment, "I am the top English movie star, which isn't saying too much because there isn't much of an industry there today (in 1981) ... Let’s faced it, this year's television stars are next year's unemployed actors." Originally Sophia Loren was considered for the part of Alexis.

John Forsythe recalled, "Aaron Spelling – executive producer of the show – told me all about it at a party. Sophia was approached about the part. She came into Aaron's office with her husband and they talked scripts, Mr Ponti ended up throwing scripts all over the room. She's a beautiful lady, Miss Loren, but I said to Aaron, 'Don't sign her.' For they'd have wanted her to dominate the show, and they'd have wanted such a lot of money."

Casting director Tony Shepherd recounted in 1986, "Joan wasn't first choice for the part. It was offered to Sophia Loren, who wanted to do it. But Carlo Ponti asked for things we were not able to give. In fact, when Joan later won a Golden Globe Award (in 1983) for 'Dynasty', she got up and thanked Sophia for turning the part of Alexis down. I made up a long list of actresses who were possibles for the role. Joan wasn't on the top grade list of actresses at that time … and I don't think she would say she was, either.

"It was on a Friday night that Sophia had said, 'Thanks, but no thanks' to us that I went home and turned on the TV. Lo and behold, there was Joan Collins chewing away at the scenery in 'The Bitch'. I thought she was quite wonderful. Over the weekend I phoned Aaron and said, 'Let's talk about Joan Collins'. I came in on Monday and went about putting together a Joan Collins film festival.

"Ironically it was the role of Cleopatra that Joan had played in 'Fantasy Island' that convinced Aaron she was the actress for the part. Joan had been offered the big part, but turned it down for personal reasons. Indirectly, this is why she did 'Fantasy Island', and ended up getting her greatest job (as Alexis on 'Dynasty'). I don’t look on it as power. I just try to get the best actor for the part at the most reasonable price."

"...Soaps are the only form that show you what happens after the curtain comes down," David Jacobs maintained. "It's really the logical form for network television." Of 'Knots Landing', David believed, "Our characters....they were always given a sense of 'what if' - what if you and I were in that situation? The other soaps were always more voyeuristic." 'Dynasty' was described as "an American fantasy".

Esther insisted, "We were doing a show about a family, where we talk a lot about the values of love … Conflict between people who love each other." Pamela Sue Martin voiced, "I don't think I grew up in an environment that was unbelievably wealthy, but I was not an underprivileged child - let's put it that way." It was reported when Pamela was being made-up to start the day's shooting, a crew member remarked, “Pamela loves the wilderness. She hates opulence and fuss and is very concerned about maintaining a lifestyle far removed from that of Fallon Carrington."

"I always thought I was born at the wrong time," Nolan Miller lamented. "I wanted to be a costume designer in the '30s and '40s. 'Dynasty' fulfils that fantasy for me … I probably design 70% of the women's clothes on 'Dynasty' … I'm not sure 90% of the 'Dynasty' audience has a place to wear these things. I believe there are enough people out there who want a kind of glamor that's faded and past."

"We have 48 minutes, and we like to tell a lot of stories", Esther made the point. "We're using the same serial form Dickens used in 'Nicholas Nickleby'. It's basic Shakespeare." Of storylines which were not self-contained, Aaron Spelling reasoned, "The problem with serials is that you carry the story too long. Story that should be told in 5 weeks is told in 8. And that's wrong." However Esther argued, "Unpredictability is the key. We do things the audience doesn't expect."

Australian actor Tony Bonner was originally considered for the part of Ben Carrington. He told 'TV Week' in 1985, "It all started about 3 months ago (in September 1985), I saw the head of casting at ABC, John Crosby, and met the head of the drama department, Lina Bernstein, and they asked if a role came up in 'Dynasty', would I be interested. Then a couple of weeks ago (November 1985) I got a call back here from my manager in Los Angeles who said Aaron Spelling had been in touch with my agent, Mark Harris, and they wanted to see if I would play John Forsythe's long-lost brother.

"As I understand it, it would be for the start of the new season (1986-87). They were talking in terms of initially coming in for a couple of episodes and if everything worked out signing on for a year-by-year contract. They've still got to get back to me, and there are all of these details of exactly what's involved to be worked out. I've been around too long to get too excited about anything. And I still want to know a little more about the character they have in mind." 'Crocodile Dundee' was the second hottest picture at the box office in 1986, after 'Top Gun'.

In 1986, Christopher Cazenove joined the cast of 'Dynasty' as Blake's brother. His agent "told me to get on a plane for Los Angeles. Unknown to me, he'd sent a tape of my work to the producers of 'Dynasty' … They were looking for a brother (of John Forsythe). I believe they had seen a number of other people. They weren't specifically looking for someone with a British accent. Ben was born in the United States, but he has spent some time in Australia. So I came over (to Hollywood), had a meeting with Aaron Spelling and Esther Shapiro and Elaine Rich, and at that meeting they offered me the role." 

In 1983, 39-years-old Linda Gray's 20-year marriage came to an end. On 'Dallas', viewers saw Linda's "new look" in the form of wardrobe and hairstyle. Linda told the press, "People are no longer accepting the dictates of society, but are following their own feelings. I'd advise any married woman to fulfil whatever she believes to be her destiny."

Joan Collins turned 50 in 1983. She told the press, "All this hype that you have to spend a fortune to look attractive when you reach 40 is a stupid fallacy. Women my age seem to believe that they need to spend hours a day on complicated beauty treatments and therapies and spend a fortune on clothes. That's nonsense and a total waste of time. Exercise is as necessary as eating and drinking.

"When I don't exercise for a few days I feel sluggish and fat, and my body starts to lose its muscle tone. I like to go to a health club and work out regularly. And I prefer to walk rather than ride and when possible I like to run. I've always been concerned about what kind of food I put in my body. They eat prepackaged, frozen, convenience foods. I’m happy with a couple of oranges, for a light meal, or a good salad. The only 2 vegetables I don't mix in are potatoes and beets because of too much carbohydrate. And I love to follow that up with some yogurt for dessert with fruit on top."

Pamela Bellwood swam 75 laps a day back then. She made known in 1986, "If you only have time to do one thing … swimming will do you the most good. It firms and tones all the muscles in your body, plus helps your circulation and builds stamina." At the time, Pamela worked out with Jake Steinfeld, "I even have a weight bench in my home, and I lift weights all the time … It's hard work, but I must admit I feel better and stronger every day."

In 1982, Jack Coleman replaced Al Corley as John Forsythe's on-screen son. The change of actor meant the character would undergo plastic surgery with a completely new face. Jack tried not to watch Al in the role because "I think that would have been a mistake. I think that unconsciously I would have been imitating him or somehow would have tried to fashion my performance after his just for continuity. But what was needed was to make the character my own as soon as possible.

"There was a certain amount of backlash about that. I think a lot of viewers went, 'Oh boy, oldest trick in the book.' But I really didn't hear anything like: 'Oh this guy is not as good as the last guy.' The cast had liked Al a lot and I was a little wary of how I would be accepted, but I was very happily surprised. It had been almost a year since Steven was on the show and I think everyone was happy to have a character back because he is now quite crucial." To one community, Jack was regarded a sex symbol.

"Looking over the last decade (the 1980s)," one commentator said in 1991, "there was perhaps no television series that better reflected the free-spending Reagan era than 'Dynasty.'" Esther had said, "A TV show has to reflect, even in a fantasy way, the times. And this was a show of the feel-good generation, the Reagan years." Linda Evans offered, "I suppose 'Dynasty' was a sign of the times, and how our country was growing." John Forsythe added, "The trick to doing 'Dynasty' was to present a realistic world with a fairy tale icing."

"When I took this oath 4 years ago," Ronald Reagan told Americans in 1985, "I did so in a time of economic stress. Voices were raised saying we had to look to our past for the greatness and glory. But we, the present-day Americans, are not given to looking backward. In this blessed land, there is always a better tomorrow." Michele Lee observed, "As America changed, so did 'Knots (Landing)'. When they watched us, they were watching what was happening to them in America with all their dreams, their hopes and their problems."

Pamela Bellwood pointed out, "It ('Dynasty') really became known for the kind of superficial excesses that the '80s represented and 'Dynasty' was the harbinger of that." Thirty years after 'Dallas' first went on air in 1978, Nicolas Sarkozy made the comment about the free-market economies, "Laissez-faire, it's finished. The all-powerful market that is always right, it's finished." One finance minister insisted, "This world will become multipolar. The world will never be the same again." "At a fundamental level," it was announced, "the model of globalization and deregulation has blown up and that's what's caused the (global financial) crisis." The future, it was thought, would be "less freewheeling, less aggressively speculative, less leveraged, and tighter on credit. We're in the midst of a massive de-leveraging."

Blog Archive