20160709

CYCLES

"People don't like the idea of external forces in any event controlling them. Clearly we are controlled by external things," Richard Mogey from the Foundation for the Study of Cycles told the Associated Press in 1994. Charles D. Jones of the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C. added, "The problem with cycle (research) in and of itself for politics or elections (is) the cycle itself isn't a determinant. It's only an observation."

Richard Mogey maintained, "Our goal is not simply to forecast, but our real mission is to understand what cycles are, and ultimately, we would like to utilize them for the benefit of mankind. If it moves, we study it. The cycles tend to be right about 80% to 85% of the time. We are interested why things repeat. We try to set up a road map for the future. Then we can predict when it will happen again."

Between 1940 and 1998, the Foundation of the Study of Cycles reportedly had identified cycles for over 4,300 events. For instance, based on an 18.2-year cycle, Richard pointed out, "A generation grows up and gets married, all at about the same time. They buy houses … This 18-year cycle is very connected with the human life span. 

"We can say the stock market will rise and fall every 41 months – that's a pretty well-identified cycle. But we don't necessarily know whether it will peak or plummet this particular month (August 1998). That can be an expensive mistake. We do not claim to have a perfect forecast of the future. We use patterns to draw a pretty good picture of the next 10 years, or 100 years."

Tanya Roberts grew up in the Bronx district of New York. Her mother was half-Irish and her father was half-Jewish. Then 26 years old, Tanya Roberts told Susan Squire in 1980, "I'm one of those boring people who’ll be with the same person for life because I have a very special marriage. Most people marry their heartthrobs, which is fine for 4 months or so; I married my best friend. I'm lucky and I know it – I hate being single. I need a partner, and I found one who's incredibly understanding and totally supportive of me.

"And he’s healthy enough that his ego doesn’t require a million other girls. In fact, he says that after a dose of me, one woman is more than enough. I’m emotional and sort of crazy and go into screaming rampages if work isn’t going well or if I lose a part, and I don’t know anyone else who could put up with me but still not kowtow to me like Barry can. I can come home after 14 hours on the set, and if he wants home fries and eggs – the only things I can cook (at the time) – I'm happy to make them. 

"He's not at all demanding, so you want to do things for him. You never feel you have to. In 7 years of marriage we have never once gone to bed fighting. He's not at all into the husband-following-wife routine, and neither am I. Most people are too dependent on each other. If I’m away we talk every night on the phone, but if necessary I can live without him. We’ve stuck together this far, and it’s been a long, slow climb for both of us. 

"My friends aren't in the (show) business, and they’ve been my friends for a long time. Even if you do get rich and famous you still have your same day-to-day trivia; no matter how much publicity and attention I get I’ll still be the same insecure, paranoid, emotional person I’ve always been. Barry accepts me and believes in me and trusts my judgments, and that’s what’s most important. If I didn’t have that, I’d never have a chance at a career – because all my energies would go into looking for it in someone else." 

Meteorologist Michael Mhoon believed that cycles played a role in the weather. He reasoned, "Sometimes they go within a year and sometimes over years, depends on what you're looking at. Weather's based on long-term waves of upper air jet streams. Both of those (stock market and grasshoppers) are related to weather." It was understood the grasshopper population climbed every 9.2 years. Richard clarified, "In a good farming year, insects prosper and their population reaches a peak. At the same time, a good farming year will send stock prices up."

John Butler of Armagh Observatory told 'The Guardian' in 1994, "Anyone concerned about the earth's environment should take a closer look at the sun." Nigel Calder informed readers "the cycle of the solar acne (or the sunspot cycle) rises, falls, and rises again, roughly every 11 years dating back to the Ice Age. During the past 100 years (from 1994), the sun has shortened its cycle from 11.7 years to 9.7 years and the global land temperature has risen by 0.6 degrees. The analysis from Copenhagen accounted for the cooling that occurred between 1940 and 1970, which had prompted forecasts of a catastrophic freeze."

"Everyone is born with natural, biological 'inner clocks!'" it was explained. "These clocks are underlying tides and currents of vital life cycles. They forecast your daily health, moods, judgement and chance of success. People in all walks of life are forecasting their ideal and neutral days with personal life cycle charts! Your life cycles are healthy, normal rhythms that can help you plan your best times for business and financial decisions; love, romance and personal harmony; games of skill and chance, health and fitness. Plan your neutral periods to help you avoid accidents, costly mistakes, fatigue and disharmony."

In 1984, Catherine Bach talked to Jenny Cullen about the symptoms of high levels of mercury in the body. She recounted, "I started going to Detox, the clinic, back in June and went every day for more than a month. Now (in September) a few hours a week is enough. I feel much better now, but it was a hideous time and I felt terrible. I don't use cocaine and I have never used it. And I know of no one on the set of 'The Dukes Of Hazzard' who does."

Dr Hal Higgins made the comment, "Metal fillings contain 50% mercury, but when tests are made after 2 or 3 years, more than 20% of that mercury has disappeared – into the body. Symptoms of mercury poisoning are common and frequently misdiagnosed as illnesses ranging from multiple sclerosis to rheumatoid arthritis, to depression and even neural paralysis. We have found that about 26% of the people don't dispose of the mercury in their body and the levels build up. The other 75% seem to dispose of the mercury with no problems and because it is excreted, there's no build up."

Catherine theorized, "I believe my mercury build-up started when I was a struggling actress. When I first came to California from my home in South Dakota, I had no money and my friends and I would make every possible meal out of tuna because it was cheap, gave you energy and had lots of protein. I ate tuna every single day – tuna sandwiches, tuna burgers, tuna salads. That's when I think the mercury level in my body started building (from sea pollution)."

Like life, the Associated Press reported television would also go in cycles. On television nothing succeeded like success. For example the success of 'The Six Million Dollar Man' gave rise to 'Future Cop'. If the swing to more comedy proved successful, the viewers could expect that the cycle would continue to turn in that direction. Cynthia Lowry told readers, "Television series are usually under construction for one or two years before the public gets its first look at a show. So most of these were on the drawing boards long before the public and the networks began worrying about shoot 'em ups and their suspected effects on tender or disturbed minds."

Tanya Roberts told Jim Davidson in 1982 she knew the 5th season of 'Charlie's Angels' was its last before she signed the contract because "you can count the number of one-hour shows that lasted more than 5 years on one hand." However "it was a great big break for me. It brought me a great house and it made me visible to the general public." The TV cycles tended to be about 7 or 8 years long before the wheel looked about to complete another cycle.

Television trend–spotters were different from the TV viewers because they were the people who watched television for business purposes (to predict a new cycle) rather than for pleasure. Tanya told Vernon Scott in 1980, "The ratings go down on all shows when they've been on the air for a few years. It's very rare that a series can keep cooking like 'M*A*S*H' and 'Archie Bunker'.

"But I think I'm joining 'Charlie's Angels' at a good time. A new face ought to stimulate some new interest in the series. I blend in with Jaclyn (Smith) and Cheryl (Ladd) because we have different energy levels. I just have a different sort of energy. We are all 3 very different women in attitudes and appearance and personality. To begin with, I'm a red head, Jaclyn's a brunette and Cheryl's a blonde." 

Gemini-star Joan Collins told Deborah Caulfield in 1985, "In 1977, an astrologer told me, 'You have the possibility of enormous fame and success.' I said, 'Oh yeah, that's this film I’m doing in England called 'The Stud'. And she said, 'No, it's in America.' I told her she was wrong, that I knew my career was definitely now based in Europe. She said, 'When it comes, you'll know it.'

"Well, of course, it was 'Dynasty'. I've worked a very long time, and a lot of people have made a great deal of money from me. I want security now. I'm not materialistic. I just don't ever want to be in the situation – or close to it – where I have to work to put bread on the table. I've been there practically all my life. I know it seems that we make a lot of money, but we're highly taxed and expenses are high. I have a glamorous image and can't really wear the same dress more than once, or can I buy a little outfit off the rack at Macy's."

Blog Archive