20160807

LINDA GRAY, LINDA EVANS

Linda Gray and Ed Thrasher shocked "even cynical Hollywood" in 1983 when they announced their union of some 20 years was coming to an end. Dr. Irene Kassorla contributed the rise of unmarried stars in 1986 to the fact, "Many of these women, in fact are already married – to their jobs. Many are totally dedicated to their careers. They don't have the time, emotionally or physically, to give to a marriage. The problem these women have is that their careers are so demanding. They're up early and get home late. They're exhausted. The husband's lucky if he gets a peck on the cheek. A man who is 'ideal' won't put up with their lack of time, and many are too intimidated by the star's image." 

"I was in my early 30s before I became an actress," Linda pointed out. "You're supposed to be finished at that age (in those days), not starting. All the women I admire – Georgia O’Keeffe, Katharine Hepburn – never let anyone dictate their lifestyle. I hope I can pass that on, too, so women won't say I'm 30, I'm 35, I can’t do this. I was born practically next door to the MGM studios and I always wanted to act. But my parents were strict Catholics and were strongly opposed to the idea. They did all they could to discourage me from joining what they thought was an evil profession." 

In 1962 "I was the only 21-year-old virgin married that year." On reflection, "I was my own worst enemy then. Nobody told me I couldn't be an actress and a wife, but it was a tough transition for me to make. I had been a model and I did commercials and I had 2 children. I used to be superwoman – a wife, mommy, housewife and dogwasher, and I thought that was terrific. Then I thought there's more – a lot more. I realized it was time to take care of me." 

By 1985, 'People Weekly' magazine readers voted Linda Evans "the best-looking woman in America"; 'Harper's Bazaar' magazine ranked Linda Evans one of "America's 10 most beautiful women" and an independent research poll reportedly for Clairol named Linda Evans "the new blonde image of the 1980s". As pointed out at the time, "each week, 100 million people in 90 countries watch Linda Evans on 'Dynasty.'"

Linda told Bettijane Levine of 'The Los Angeles Times' in 1985, "I represent several important issues. I am older, attractive, single and good. I'm one of the first women to say you're not too old for anything at 40. I've gone through some incredible tests and come out on top. There are millions out there who can relate to that. What money represents is independence. That's all it can buy." 

Esther Shapiro made known, "There are men in high political places, tycoons and men of power - I can't reveal their names - who watch the show ('Dynasty') and send her flowers or call and ask to meet her. These are power people, men who are into owning things, and she's obviously something they'd like to own. Knowing Linda, that's the one thing to which she wouldn't respond." 

Australian actress Abigail made the point in 1986, "There comes a time in your life when you realize that you've fulfilled certain areas and you want to go ahead and do others and it's nice to take advantage of opportunities when they come along. In show business terms, the (United) States is supposed to be the peak and there's certain people there that I would really like to work with – actors, directors, producers – and I think it would be a shame if I went through my entire life not having done that, or at least tried." 

In 1985, Linda Gray returned to Australia as special international guest at the 27th annual TV Week Logie Awards. She first came to Australia in 1980. In 1978, Linda rose to TV stardom playing Sue Ellen Ewing on the "powerful human drama" 'Dallas'. Linda recounted, "'Dallas' was the very first night time soap opera of its kind, and because it had such interesting, bigger than life characters, it became a piece of Americana. 

"It had all kinds of things going for it – money, power, jewels, furs, and beautiful people. I suppose the secret is that 'Dallas' is all the evils of our society concentrated in one family. In the show, America has found new heroes – ones they love to hate. It's reassuring to ordinary people to see that even the very rich have their own brand of misery. 

"In order for me to read for the part they had to create dialog just for the audition. It was just a 4-line part. I think Sue Ellen is the most interesting female character on television. She is completely unpredictable. One of my great lines since 'Dallas' began has been 'I don't know', and I really don't. We get our scripts from week to week. It keeps you on your toes, and it's more fun that way, but I would love to be invisible during one of those story conferences. I have a lot of input, but it doesn't fit in with the overall plan. 

"I love playing the character who has become TV's biggest bitch. When we started, Sue Ellen was meant to be a minor figure in eyecatching clothes. Then I decided to build the part up, using bits of all sorts of people I've met in Texas. I couldn't live Sue Ellen's life for a moment. Sue Ellen represents a tiny segment of American women. When I began playing the role ... I made the point of hanging out with wealthy, prominent women. 

"Gradually – I think because Larry Hagman and I were so wonderfully evil together and had so much fun acting off each other – they expanded my part and then our parts together. I started that first season as J.R.'s wife. The 2nd season, I was Sue Ellen. Now, I'm Linda Gray. I love that transition." Australian actress Belinda Giblin described herself as a "very restless person. Not only in the show ('Sons and Daughters') but generally in life. I'm very fast. I go very fast in every direction and for me the travel, the journey and the anticipation are far more interesting than the arrival. I'm sort of going fast nowhere." 

Linda Gray told Colette Bouchez of 'Copley News Service' in 1982, "Good basic skin care is important and I believe if you have any skin problems at all dry or oily, you should start with a good dermatologist. I've also learned that what you put in your body is as important as what you put on it. I have dry skin so I eat a lot of foods high in vitamin A and I avoid coffee and alcohol which both tend to dry the skin. The most important contribution to your looks is to truly like who you are. Not just the way you look, but who you are deep inside. If you do you will project the kind of beauty that never goes out of style."

On 'Dallas', "My clothes don't have to be expensive, but they have to look expensive. I have to feel rich. I'm very involved in picking out my clothes for the show. Sue Ellen is a very rich lady who has little else to do but keep in style. She dresses in a classic style of the rich, but doesn't go in for fads. You will never see Sue Ellen Ewing in a disco outfit. Color is also very important … Although on the series we do use some designer clothes such as Calvin Klein and Ralph Laurent, the style is the important thing, especially for the women on the series, the costumes are very important. A lot of folks watch the series to see the clothes and how the rich dress. Therefore, the characters we play affect the clothes we wear."

Blog Archive