20160821

MATTHEW STAR

Like Kal-El (also known as Clark Kent, also known as Superman) from the planet Krypton, crown prince E'Hawke (also known as David Star, also known as Matthew Star) was a visitor from the planet Quadris, some 12 light years across the galaxy from Earth. An army of marauders (referred to as an intergalactic armada) invaded Quadris overthrowing the planet ruling royal family. E'Hawke was an infant of 7 months old when his father, E'tain - the crown king, placed him in the care of D'hai (also known as Walt Shepherd), his guardian, who took him to the nearest planet, Earth, on which they could survive because earthlings bore similarity in resemblance to the people on Quadris and Earth had nitrogen and oxygen.

By the 4th cycle of the Quadris year, being 8312, E'Hawke's powers would have been developed, thus allowing him to return to Quadris to free his people and ascended the throne. For the first 16 years they lived on Earth, D'hai and E'Hawke were on the run, moving from Philadelphia to Idaho to Wisconsin, Kansas, New York, Connecticut and when the series, 'The Powers of Matthew Star' went on air in the 1982-83 season, Crest Ridge (real life La Mirada, Los Angeles).

Quadris' technology was 1000 years ahead of Earth hence D'hai had a slight advantage. In one scene, United States Air Force Major General F.J. Tucker told Walt Shepherd, "I know that you could give me more information in 10 minutes than all the computers and satellites could in 10 years." On Earth, Matthew Star's mind had hidden powers: telekinesis, telepathy, clairvoyance and teleportation. In one episode, Matthew could hear what Pam's parents were saying in their mind and in another, Matthew could get inside Walt's mind and talk to him from a far distance. The heart rate of a person from Quadris was 12 beats per minute.

Kashat was a significant symbol of Quadris, similar to the Cross (central to the Christian faith). Developed for television by Daniel Wilson, Harve Bennett, Robert Earll and Allan Balter, Peter Barton played Matthew Star and Lou Gossett, Jr. played Walt Shepherd. NBC decided to schedule 'The Powers of Matthew Star' directly opposite 'The Dukes of Hazzard'. Originally intended for screening in the 1981-82 season, production of the series had to be shut down for 3 months after November 12, 1981 because of an accident during filming in San Fernando.

Growing up in Long Island, Peter Barton was studying to become a doctor, initially undertaking chiropractic studies at Nassau Community College then transferred to St. John's University in Queens as a pharmacy major. "My sister's boyfriend looked like he had a pretty good life going; he made decent money," Peter made known. "I just wanted to get a pharmacy degree, not to finish there - but to have something. Then I was going to try and get into medical school and actually become a doctor."

"I had lots of odd jobs before I got into modeling," Peter told Lynda Hirsch, Marla Hart and Anne Villasenor in separate interviews. "I had no acting experience and I was suddenly picked to play Shirley Jones' son in her series 'Shirley' (in 1979). I'm modeling in New York to make money to go to college and, boom, I go for an audition and get on a TV series.

"I left New York and headed for Los Angeles. It was terrifying. I couldn't believe I was going to be acting with Shirley Jones. I was so petrified I couldn't even watch reruns of 'The Partridge Family.'" At 21 years of age, "I mean, oh my God, I'm on national TV. I'm a kid from suburbia who watches TV; I'm not on TV." Peter appeared in 4 movies after 'Shirley' ended, before playing Matthew Star, "This was about a kid who was so isolated. I was in pain and I identified with it."

While performing a stunt for the second pilot episode, Peter Barton sustained 3rd-degree burns over 12% of his body. "I fell on this magnesium flare," Peter recounted. "I knew I was on fire. They cut my clothes off. I was stunned. All I could think was, 'What do I do now; what do I do to get out of here?' I was in the hospital a month and had 4 skin grafts. Sometimes I'm curious as to what my career would have been like had there been no accident. The event shifted me.

"Before the accident I was 25 playing 16-year-olds. After the accident I seemed weathered. Also, the high hopes of 'The Powers of Matthew Star', scheduled to be the summer replacement for Disney, found itself postponed. Our debut was pushed back a year. So sometimes I wonder would this have been a mega-hit with kids. It's one of those 'you never know' things.

"I realized there was too much pressure on me. I wanted to get into an ensemble, not to be the main focus. And 'Young and the Restless' came along. I just couldn't believe how lucky I was. The 6 years (1988-1993) on the soap helped me to set down roots in L.A. and to become more grounded. If my contract had been renewed, I probably would have never left. It's ironic; I got to do some of my best work at the end. And I got to die. A real death scene - it was fun.

"My M.O. (modus operandi) seems to be that whenever life gets comfortable, things get unexpectedly turned upside down and I'm off, through the next door opening. It's weird. With 'Young and Restless' I knew it was coming; I could feel it had run its course. I didn't know what would happen next. Then, boom, I got 'Burke's Law' (1994-95)." Peter described 'Burke's Law' as "it's entertainment. The first time I saw the (series') script, I thought, 'This is really entertaining.' It's the kind of entertainment I enjoyed as a kid, like 'I Dream of Jeannie' or 'Father Knows Best.' I don't have to be in the big picture. That's not who I am. I just want to be part of it."

Of 'The Young and the Restless', "I originally signed on for a 3-year contract. I had no problem with it. I don't aspire to do film or to have my own series. I've had it and I don't miss it. The bottom line is I just want to be the best actor I can. Working on 'Young and Restless' gives me that … The thing that bothers me most about Scott is that he got into this relationship with Sheila. There's no way I would be involved with a woman I know nothing about."

Peter elaborated, "When I became 31, I suddenly realized I was involved in a pattern that I didn't like. My relationships with women would last 8 months and be over. They would be very intense. I didn't run from a relationship, but they would just fall apart. I got tired of the pattern." Peter underwent therapy, "I'm not like a reformed smoker. I can only say that therapy has been great for me. I will listen to my friends and their problems. If I can't stand listening to it anymore, then I might suggest they try therapy."

Peter also conceded, "I'm frugal. I have my life where I want it. I'm financially smart with my money, and I'm not a spendthrift." Around 1986, Peter stopped acting, got a license and focused on real estate working for Fred Sands Realty on Sunset Boulevard. Peter returned to acting on 'The Young and the Restless' because "it's the first time I really made the choice of saying, 'I want to act.' The first time, I fell into it. I did it for almost 7 years and plodded along. It was really kind of happenstance. The second time, after doing real estate, I said, 'You know what? I like to act.'"

Blog Archive