20160823

MATTHEW STAR

Peter Barton and Amy Steel reportedly beat out Tom Cruise and Heather Locklear for the roles of Matthew Star and Pam Elliot in the TV series 'The Powers of Matthew Star'. In one episode ('Experiment') first shown in October 1982, Susie the dolphin at a marine park, OceanWorld, could be seen telepathically communicating to Matthew. Matthew could hear Susie spoke to him in his mind. Walt Shepherd later told Matthew that communication with the dolphins was established on their planet Quadris a long time ago, and that Susie the dolphin probably knew Matthew did not come from Earth. However mankind was not too far off in mastering the skill of human-animal communication. 

Peter Barton told 'Starlog' at the time, "The definition of science-fiction isn't really clear to me. So much of what was improbable before can be explained today (in 1981). I firmly believe that UFOs exist; everyone through the ages has had their version of them and there seems to be evidence more than ever that they are out here. Even something like Matthew's powers are not all that improbable when you stop to think that we only use something like 5% of our brain. Maybe someday we'll be able to open our minds up and pour in all knowledge; then all you would have to do is ask the right question and the answers would be there." 

Created by Steven E. deSouza, Harve Bennett of 'Star Trek' was the executive producer of the first 13 episodes of 'The Powers of Matthew Star' including the 2 pilots. By July 1982, filming of the 13th episode was completed. Bruce Lansbury then became the executive producer of the last 9 episodes. Mike Post and Pete Carpenter composed the music for the first 13 episodes. Johnny Harris performed the music for the last 9 episodes. In the episodes Bruce Lansbury was the executive producer, Matthew Star discovered a new power, astral projection, in which Matthew could take a trip out of his body. However if Matthew did not return back in 2 hours, his flesh and blood body would die. 

"If we can exist here, can people of Earth exist in Quadris?" Matthew Star asked Walt Shepherd in the episode 'Triangle' directed by Leonard Nimoy of 'Star Trek'. "Of course," Walt Shepherd replied. In the episode, Quadrian messengers promised in E'Hawke's 15th year (on Earth) were found inside a cave in the Bermuda Triangle. Nian (played by Julie Newmar of 'Batman') and Vohll, a Justice of the Quadrian Court came to Earth to inform Matthew Star the death of King E'tain. However Nian and Vohll were also dying after being exposed to radioactive.

Holding a crystal he found inside the Kashat up in the firelight, Matthew Star or E'Hawke was then asked by Vohll to recite his coronation oath, the Creed of Kings as he was made King of Quadris. Peter Barton told 'Starlog', "The original pilot dealt with me not knowing I was from another planet or an alien. It was sort of a psychological show where I thought I was going crazy because I was reading people's minds and moving objects. My guardians at that time was going to let me know where I came from and what was going on. He was hoping that I wasn’t going to develop my powers, but it looked like I was, and that was the premise of the show. 

"The basic storyline is staying the same: that I’m from another planet, that my planet was invaded by aliens, my father was killed, my mother escaped, and I escaped with my guardian to come to Earth in order to train and develop my powers. Walt Shepherd was supposedly my father's best friend and my father entrusted me to him and meanwhile sacrificed himself so we could escape. The thing now is that I've always known I was from another planet and now it's more like 'the force', where I'm training and developing my powers." 

The second pilot was filmed because "everyone felt things were too vague (in the original pilot). I was walking around very confused and not knowing what these strange powers were or what in the heck was happening to me. Matthew kept asking himself: 'Am I crazy? What's going on here?' When we start over again I'll know who I am and what my mission is right from the very beginning."

Peter also made the observation, "Since Matthew can't totally control his powers yet, those are the kinds of problems he's going to have. He can't even get it together with his girlfriend, and what makes it even more frustrating is that she is someone he loves very much. These things go further to remind him that he is an alien and must one day return to free his people; but he would really prefer not to have that tremendous pressure and be a normal person. We all have our own personal anxieties, whether it's mortgage payments or raising kids, so there'll be something there for everyone to relate to." 

In the episode 'Mother' written by Walter Koenig of 'Star Trek', Tricia O'Neil played Matthew Star's mother Queen Nadra. Before arriving on Earth, Queen Nadra visited Vulca, the planet of illusion and disguise which aged her enough to look like Madam Paloma, a gypsy fortune teller Matthew and Pam met at a carnival. There Queen Nadra gave E'Hawke a gold ring which meant for the hand of a leader, pointing out, "You are destined to encounter many tests, many burdens. (However) even the most gifted must take strength wherever he can."

It was explained Queen Nadra suffered from lung damage because of an element in the air on Vulca hence she could not stay on Earth due to the amount of oxygen in the air. To avoid endangering her health further, Queen Nadra was said required to go somewhere in higher altitude where the air was thinner. Louis Gossett, Jr. told Seli Groves of 'King Features Syndicate' in 1989, "One of the nice things about being an actor is that you not only get to play all sorts of characters, you also have a wonderful chance to learn so much about the world and its people."

Lou acknowledged there had been progress in the status of black actors, "but we still have a long way to go. Still, it is happening. It's evolving – it's moving. And that's important. You can't stand still or you lose ground. But you move only as fast as the day moves, as fast as the years move. It's when there's enough pressure in the forward movement that the membrane holding you back breaks – and you break through." Anthropologist Gideon Oliver opined, "The problems that affect some of us really affect all of us. This realization is bringing people together. After all, pollution doesn't just threaten whites or blacks or Asians. It threatens us all. Bigotry threatens us all. I believe we're beginning to understand that we need each other."

Blog Archive