20161016

CAPITOL

Carolyn Jones (Morticia on 'The Addams Family' 1964-66) played Myrna Clegg on the TV series, 'Capitol' in 1982. "I guess we live in an age where people think cars and computers are more interesting than people. I don't want to put 'Dukes of Hazzard' down because they’re in the business too, but I would never do a ‘Dukes’ guest appearance because there’s nothing to be done. I’m not an automobile. I’m not a stunt. There are a lot of actors around who are not working who are very good.

"(Daytime soap operas) is the only place where they can work as people. Scripts (for soap operas) are very good. They really are," Carolyn made the observation. "Myrna is meaner than J.R. She and J.R. are a matched set. Between them they could carve up the world. I based Myrna on 3 women I know, and they'd kill me if I used their names." 

Sandwiched between 'As The World Turns' and 'Guiding Light', Carolyn conceded, "I'm stunned the ratings are so good. But I was also shocked at how low all daytime ratings are compared to prime time. When I was doing 'The Addams Family', we have a 35 share. If you get 21% in daytime, they think it's great. We're beating established shows like 'The Guiding Light,' 'The Edge of Night' and 'Search for Tomorrow'."

In 1982, CBS decided to drop 'Search For Tomorrow' in favor of 'Capitol'. 'Search For Tomorrow' then moved over to NBC but the network decided to run the 30-minute soap against the first half-hour of 'The Young and the Restless'. Producer John Whitesell remembered, "'Search' went from a network (CBS) where it enjoyed the loyalty of an audience who'd been watching for 30 years (since 1951). It was in trouble from the day it got here (on NBC; 'Search For Tomorrow' wrapped in 1986).''

'The New York Times' explained, "On a 60-minute soap it is possible to have romance, comedy and mystery in a single day. In only half that time, though, it is difficult to fit in all 3 without being fragmented and spending large chunks of time on exposition." John Whitesell clarified, "When you have a story with a lot of plot you have to do a lot of explaining. That way we'll have a better chance of going into more depth - showing the audience how these characters feel about things. It's all about relatability.''

Head writer Gary Tomlin added, ''I don't think the half-hour problem is insurmountable - we're just going to concentrate on fewer plots and fewer people. We're trying to get the characters to be identified with as strongly as audiences identified with the characters on the 'Mary Tyler Moore Show'. It's all about people.'' Carolyn observed, "Washington is the glamor and scandal capital of the world. Every single day there's some scandal or off-beat news out of Washington where there's more room for it. In Hollywood we have to work hard. Politicians don't.

"People would be surprised to learn how many stars go to bed alone. I don't think many senators do. They don't have to be up at 5 o'clock in the morning with bags under their eyes to report for work. There are more big parties in Washington. Most of them aren't just social like they are in Hollywood. And the politicians have more outspoken wives.

"I'm a Democrat, so I don't have any inside sources in this administration (the Ronald Reagan administration), but I'll never forget walking into the White House and shaking hands with President Lyndon Johnson. He said, 'Welcome, Carolyn. It's good to see you.' And I said, 'Hello, Senator.' I almost died later when I realized how I addressed him. Every actress dreams of playing a classic character."

Blog Archive