20170223

KNOTS LANDING

Phase 3 construction of the Lotus Point development project (tennis courts) was postponed in the 1984-85 season of the TV series, 'Knots Landing'. Gary Ewing decided to "earmark those funds for (land development of) Empire Valley." Paul Galveston described Gary Ewing as "the visionary" and explained to Gary, "Money is not the question. You've got vision, power, that's all it takes. When you've got power, you spend other people's money. And I imagine you can attract federal fund for the Empire Valley."

Viewers were told Gary Ewing understood the total concept of the project. As such, Paul Galveston informed his backers, "I'm grooming Gary Ewing to take complete charge of the physical premises. He is the man of intelligence, and vision. His ambitions are compatible with your aims. He is my choice." At one stage, Paul Galveston told Gary Ewing, "Politicians are like beautiful women. They get what you want but they're not about to give it to you for free. You got to work for it.

"It's the game of seduction. Let me tell you something son. You've got blue chip in your blood. Money comes to you like a magnet (at the time Gary Ewing just inherited 10% of Ewing Oil). You got brain and guts. But you need to cultivate your charm. Friends in Washington are indispensable. I can make the introduction but the rest is up to you."

Abby Ewing was described as "the one with the more practical skills. That's why we make such a good team." In a conversation between Laura Avery and Abby Ewing in the 1983-84 season, Laura made the complaint to Abby, "Gary got his million. You'll get yours - if haven't already. Karen's husband died and she's happily remarried. Val's husband left her. She got a bestseller; a new boyfriend; more money than she ever had before. Well, my husband left me too and a little I got is 5% of Lotus Point. I think I'm entitled to that small piece of the pie, don’t you?" Abby countered, "Well if things go really well, maybe we'll get you a pie of your own."

David Jacobs remarked, "(Bill) Devane (as Senator Greg Sumner), like Abby, was my kind of villain, which means he's not all bad. Devane (character) was an evolving character." Greg to Mack MacKenzie, "I'm just a cog in a big wheel that just keep on turning." In one scene Greg told Abby, "If you're going to hang around, you're going to have to learn to understand politics." Abby replied, "I understand money." Greg reminded, "They're not the same thing."

In another scene, Greg told Abby, "All I know is you wanted to play the game. These are the rules." Abby replied, "They're not my rules. I don't play this way." Greg reminded, "You've got what you wanted. Nothing come free." In a different scene, Abby told lobbyist Scott Easton (played by Jack Bannon), "That's just the point, I don't care how he votes. I just want to know far enough in advance so I can invest in smart way."

In a conversation with Ruth Sumner Galveston, Greg told Ruth, "When I started out in politics I was a confirmed idealist. I guess I got that from my father, George Sumner. Anyway in those days it was still all right to believe in something noble." The 1979 episode of 'Charlie's Angels' titled 'Angels On Campus' in which the alumni committee hired detectives Kelly, Kris and Tiffany to find two sorority girls believed to have been kidnapped for white slavery (also known as prostitution), David Hayward's character told Tiffany Welles, "I'm not real proud of it. Somehow I became kind of a professional student. Like in the '60s and early '70s, I was into all the causes and protests, everything. Then the time changed. For a long time I couldn't."

Greg continued, "I was naïve enough to think my high ideals would somehow help me get to the top. It happens before. But then one day I opened my other eye and I saw that it was the wheeler-dealers who were getting all the top jobs and I was just fighting the good fight in the trenches. So I decided then and there if I really truly wanted a piece of the power politics pie, I had better get off my butt and start making a few deals of my own.

"And believe me I wanted the top spot. I want it a lot. I guess maybe I want it too much, so I swallow some of my high ideals and make a few choices that were great for my career, not so great for my conscience. You know, some people are really good at living that double standard life. The dishonesty of it never even dawn on them. Your recent husband (Paul Galveston) was a prime example (it was hinted Ruth married Paul on his deathbed).

"Unfortunately I was not a good opportunist as some of the others, and I woke up one day to find that I have compromised right out of the shot at the top spot. So I reset my sights on the senate and I knew that I have enough political savvy on how to get there and that one day I more than likely be a power in that noble body. I was right on both politically and morally. I was really looking forward to a long distinguished career in Washington. But damn that Paul Galveston."

Ruth reminded Greg, "You know Gregory, all the men that I have known really made it to the top never have much time feeling sorry for themselves." Donna Mills told the press, "(Abby in 'Knots Landing'), she's fun to play because she's not a cartoon character. Her vulnerability is her two children. Abby's a more active role. Abby keeps things stirred up.

"The affair with Gary is based on a power struggle. She wants to be in the Ewing family. That’s where the money and power are. Also, she has fallen for Gary so she's vulnerable in that area." In one scene, Abby said to Greg, "You're a politician on the rise. I'm a business woman on the rise. You're heading for national politics. I'm heading for national business.

"If things go according to plan, you'll be in the White House for 8 years which is exactly where we both want you. You for the thrill of it. Me for the profit." Donna objected to the criticisms from pressure groups, "It's so ridiculous. I used to think it was funny, but it’s not funny anymore. These kinds of shows are really morality lessons because the bad people never win. People can see that they never get their way or triumph. The thing that women seem to like about (Abby) is her strength. Women seem to admire that."

Blog Archive