20170310

KNOTS LANDING

In the episode 'Deadly Combination' of the TV series 'Knots Landing' first shown in March 1987, the character Karen MacKenzie could be seen eating a piece of Boston Cream Pie - one of America's favorite dessert. Inspired by colonial housewife Martha Washington, the Boston Cream Pie (or Martha Washington Cream Pie) was invented in the 1800s at Boston's Parker House Hotel.

The round double-layer sponge cake filled with egg or vanilla custard between the layers, topped with chocolate frosting or sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with whipped cream and a hot cup of coffee, was originally known as an "emergency pie". At that time, Thomas Jefferson was visiting George Washington at Mount Vernon for dinner.

Martha Washington would like to serve something very special for the honored guest, instructed her cook to put together thin layers of sponge cake, sandwiched with a cream filling flavored with sherry. On top, sprinkled with fine sugar and garnished with whipped cream. As understood, "The wives of the Senators present as guests asked for the recipe. When the Senators and their wives returned to home towns, the pie was introduced to the hinterlands – and the fame of Boston Cream Pie spread."

Joan Van Ark told Colette Bouchez in 1986, "I usually eat one meal a day when I'm working but I snack on crackers and apple juice during the afternoon. Then, when I get home, I eat steamed vegetables like broccoli with lemon juice and a potato, plus some chicken or fish. But, the way I really control my weight is by eating what I call a lot of 'water' foods – cucumbers, lettuce, beansprouts, watermelon – that are mostly water and very few calories. I only put into my body as much as I feel it needs to keep me going."

Michele Lee told the press, "I do feel unique. I have a chance to portray such a positive role model for women in a show that portrays so many aspects of real life. Karen is a female who exemplifies goodness and morality and has never swayed from this. I had always pictured my leading lady as different from Karen Fairgate. I had to be talked into doing it.

"I know this lady. I'm a very fast study. I've always worked this way – my scenes are learned the day I shoot them. I don't mean I walk through it. I only have homework or research when I'm doing something like the drug sequence or a lot of dialog. It was compared to 'Dallas', which it shouldn't have been. It wasn't even called 'Knots Landing' in the beginning. It was 'Married Couples'. It was an examination of 4 marriages. You know how we got the title? 'Knots' refers to water and 'Landing' to docks and 'Knots' also refers to marriages for people tying the knot.

"We went through marriages, deaths, boyfriends and breakups and God knows what during the course of 14 years. Originally, we didn’t know. In year 2 or 3 (around 1980-82), we were saying, 'Gee, this could last 7 years.' And in year 10,11 and 12, I was saying, 'If they play their cards right, this could go 20 (to the year 1999) – which I still maintain it probably could have.

"The strength of 'Knots Landing' is its emphasis on familial values, economic conflict and sexual tension, and I obviously represent familial values. Part of her character used to be her deep involvement in social issues. She worked for the ACLU. She was the liberal of the cul-de-sac. When the ERA was very prevalent, she was involved in it. There was always talk of her being a demonstrator who was arrested in the '60s. We're really more touchable than, say, 'Dynasty' or 'Dallas' because 'Knots Landing' is a working community of middle class people with middle class values and the work ethic. The audience identifies with us or wants to be like us."

Abby to Gary: Well, suppose, something has happened to him (Paul Galveston). He's not a young man. If something did happen, the whole power structure would change.

"Women, I think, are especially fascinated by Abby because they somewhat identify with her," Donna Mills believed. "For drama, you must have someone doing bad things and making havoc on the good people. It will never be written into the show because the viewer must not be made to feel sympathy for a character like her, but as an actress, I try to reason why she has no guilt feelings about the terrible things she does."

In the 1986-87 season, Gary and Abby Ewing divorced. Aside from the generous settlement Gary offered, Abby also had a 51% stake in Peter Hollister's claim on the Galveston estate because she funded his case plus $3 million from Gary in exchange for his ranch (community property). Abby was ready to open escrow on the beach house by the time Peter Hollister became senator.

Gary: Abby, why are you going to all this trouble? You don't need the money (the $3 million)?

Abby: Gary, if it wasn't for me you wouldn’t have this money in the first place. You would have wasted your entire fortune. I've made you more money than this (the $3 million).

Donna Mills disclosed, "I've never been poor, but I've certainly had to watch my pennies on different occasions in my life. So I'm very conservative with money. I was brought up with that idea. No matter how much money I've ever made, I've always saved a lot of it. And my business managers are quite pleased with me because they don't have to worry about me. I don't go off spending more than I have or more than I should. Of course it's fun to have more to spend, to be able to splurge a little bit every now and then. But no one will ever be able to accuse me of being a spendthrift."

Michele Lee observed, "We'd always been the little engine that could. We've beaten unbeatable odds against some wonderful programming (including 'L.A. Law', 'The Colbys' and 'Prime Time Live'). It had texture and color and was much more sophisticated than people could dream." Nicollette Sheridan stated, "What I like about Paige is that she is not all nasty, but she can be daddy's little girl, she can be a conniving woman, the seductress and the business woman. She comprised of many colors."

Tonya Crowe told 'Gannett News Service' in 1988, "When you do get a great storyline, it's just incredible. You really get out and create. There was a time when I transformed into a young woman, between seasons, I started getting fan mail (that said), 'I'm sorry, but I liked the girl who used to play Olivia more.' Once I hit 15, everything started to work out. All the mother-daughter conflicts were available."

Born in north Miami, John Gian grew up in ethnic-flavored Brooklyn and Bethpage, Long Island, and lived "an Italian-style life". "I thought 'Knots Landing' was 'Dynasty'. I didn't know anything about the show. My agent convinced me to try for it and I really liked the character. He's well written. There is great attention paid to style and detail on 'Knots Landing' that you won't find on other shows. I went from being a gay cop (in 'Hoperman') to being in bed with Nicollete Sheridan. The chemistry I had with Nicollette was something you don't get every day. I was reluctant to do the reading. When I tested with Nicollette, the sparks were there immediately. The sparks were really flying. I knew then I had the role locked in."

Blog Archive