20170720

PAPER DOLLS

Grant: Well, this is very, very promising - except for the name. Tangier. I don’t like it. It's not right for a perfume. 

Wesley: My research team has tested it. Tangier is hot, sexy, exotic … 

Grant: …Wild, danger and dirty. I know. I've been to Tangier. That was in 1949. Certainly wouldn't pay $200 an ounce to be reminded of it. 

Wesley: Well what a shame. That's just the market we have targeted. 

The city of Tangier in Morocco, North Africa, could be found on a bay of the Strait of Gibraltar, south of Spain. After 5 centuries of Roman rule, Tangier was part of the Byzantine Empire in the 6th century. Thomas Hollowell reported, "Because of its geographic location, many European countries have vied for control. Once known as a safe haven for international spies and a meeting place for secret agents, Tangier is used as the location for many spy novels and movies. It also had quite a reputation as a smuggling center. Tangier attracted many artists such as Matisse and Tiffany. Authors like Choukri, native to the area, and Burroughs wrote about the city and surrounding area." 

In the 2013 'Interview' with Jenna Lyons, Lauren Hutton recounted, "You know, I had wanted to paint and I decided that I was never going to be able to be an artist like the artists I admired because I was working all the time so I just decided to take off and go to Africa. I had a little bit of money saved and I stopped school. There weren't hubs in those days, so the only way you could get to England was through Idlewild - you know, go through JFK so I went to New York."

In New York, Lauren made known, "I learned a lot of things at one time. I found out that in Tangier, I couldn't take a bus outside of town and see lions and tigers and bears, so that wasn't going to work. I learned that there was something called North Africa where there were Arab states, which I didn't really know about ... We didn't have access to a lot of information in those days." 

In one scene on 'Paper Dolls', Racine was on the phone at 6 o'clock in the morning talking to Evonne in France about booking Blair Fenton for a Paris Vogue layout. After the call ended, Racine remarked, "Two hundred years since they stormed the Bastille (July 14, 1789) and they're still revolting." 'The New York Times' explained, "The battle was a pivotal point in the establishment of the French Republic, a point that is celebrated in the United States by cooking French food and shopping at a French linen store."

The History channel noted, "The capture of the Bastille symbolized the end of the ancient regime." The U.K. 'Telegraph' added, "This seismic act demonstrated that ordinary people would no longer accept the absolute power of the king and signalled the start of the French Revolution which forced the creation of the modern French Republic."

Morgan Fairchild told the 'Philadelphia City Paper' in July 1997, "I really loved doing off-Broadway. I loved being in 'Paper Dolls'. The writing was good. A couple years ago I went to Bosnia and did a movie with Martin Sheen where I played a nun ... Paul Reubens is a friend and one day, several years ago when I was doing 'Falcon Crest', he called me up wanting a favor.

"He said, 'We're doing this movie. It has no budget and we really need some cameos. I was just wondering if you could come do it for us.' So I get on the set and they say, 'Here's your line: 'I know you are but what am I?' I said, what does that mean? I didn't have a script. He said, 'Just say it. It'll be funny in context.' So we did that and then they had this ninja fight they wanted me to do. I told him I had the whole day off from 'Falcon Crest' so I said let's do some more! We were on the Warner Brothers backlot and we totally improvised."

In another scene on 'Paper Dolls', after learning David Fenton was going to meet with Grant Harper, Wesley told Grant, "Well you better warm up your check-signing hand. Smells like Tempus (Sportswear) needs a bailout."

Grant: Oh, I don't know, Wesley. The bank's support on Tempus is not all that bad. And as a matter of fact, our Egyptian cotton mill could use a high volume customer like Tempus.

Wesley: Well I hear his new line uses mainly silk that he buys from India. At least he buys when he's able to pay for it.

"I never was a model but our scripts are realistic," Dack Rambo observed. Lloyd Bridges told 'The Washington Post' on a soap such as 'Paper Dolls' with an ensemble cast, no one star would be required to carry the show "but everyone gets a time at bat." Sunny Griffin believed, "Modeling is a two dimensional profession. I've done everything I can in the field. As an actress, there's no limit. There's always a new part to explore."

Lauren Hutton voiced, "(Films) use more of 'you' than modeling does. There's much more work involved in acting and you've got to do more thinking." On 'Paper Dolls', Lloyd Bridges had prior knowledge of the character he was playing. Lloyd spoke to 'The Washington Post', "There's a reason for that. It's the head writer and co-producer, Jennifer Miller, and the line producer, Michelle Rappaport, and of course Goldberg pulling the strings at the top.

"We had 6 episodes ready before we started shooting. The production staff listened to the actors. The plot line is still open, but I feel that I know what I would do and what I would not do. When actors finish one job, they worry about whether there will be a next one - you think, maybe they'll get wise to us." Of show business, Mimi Rogers maintained, "Acting by its nature is an unpredictable and ephemeral business. If you need to have the next 10 years mapped out, this is not the profession to be in."

Blog Archive