20170721

PAPER DOLLS

On 'Dallas' it was Southfork Ranch. On 'Falcon Crest' - Falcon Crest. On 'Knots Landing' it was Seaview Circle. And on 'Paper Dolls' it was called Foxtown. On 'Paper Dolls', viewers learnt Grant Harper traveled to work on a chopper because it was still the best way to beat the traffic on the Long Island Expressway. In one scene viewers learnt it could take up to 4 or 5 hours to get from New York to Foxtown if there was traffic jam on the Expressway. 

Mark Snow and for at least 2 episodes Ron Ramin composed music to enhance scenes on 'Paper Dolls'. Donald Paul Roos of 'The Colbys' was story editor and Stephen Black and Henry Stern of 'Falcon Crest' were the executive script consultants. Executive Producer Leonard Goldberg told Marilyn Beck in 1984, "I think the actor should get as much as he can command. Most successful TV shows made the star; the stars didn't make the shows. 

"I'll pay someone to tell me who the 5 stars of that picture ('Police Academy') are. If you don't have a good piece of material, it doesn't matter who you put in it; no one is going to go see it. If you have a good idea that's well executed, it also doesn't matter who's in it. People will tear down the doors." On 'Paper Dolls' instead of "huge, action adventures and stunts, that's (clothes) where the money really goes. 

"Hopefully, the public will be entertained by it, but hopefully they will also come to some understanding of what the modeling business is like for young people. They go to high school one day and are concerned with math homework and someone to go to the basketball game with, and the next day they're posing for some exotic perfume (Expectations) that promises all kinds of erotic sexual adventures to those who wear it. If you're a kid, how do you handle all that?" 

"I was taking anthropology in night school at UCLA when I was doing 'Flamingo Road'," Morgan Fairchild told the 'Chicago Tribune' in May 1985. "When the show was canceled, I ended up having to leave town because the jobs I got were on location. So that sort of precluded my being able to go to class. When it looked like I was going to be in Los Angeles this spring (to co-star on 'Falcon Crest'), I went ahead and enrolled at UCLA again and then discovered it was the same course I had taken a couple of years ago. They had changed the title."

In the North American summer of 1984, Morgan Fairchild reportedly pleaded with the producers of 'Paper Dolls' to film one of her scenes on the streets of New York so Morgan could visit the American Museum of Natural History to view the human and prehuman fossils exhibit, 'Ancestors'. "I was boning up on everything," Morgan recounted. 

"I wanted to see 'Lucy' and 'The First Family' (castings of 3 1/2-million-year-old bones discovered in Africa) and the Taung Baby (a 2-million-year-old hominid skull). Then a week before the show was to go on location in New York, the producers called me up and said, 'Oh, you don't have to go. Your character's a power monger. You just sit in your office.' I said, 'You've got to let me get out and walk the streets of New York. I've geared my whole summer to see this exhibit.' They thought I was mad. Finally, Leonard Goldberg, the producer, had them write a scene where I walk out of my New York apartment, look up and down the street and say, 'Where's the limo?'"

Blog Archive