20181110

DYNASTY

In its review of the 2006 TV special on CBS, 'Dynasty Reunion: Catfights & Caviar', 'The New York Times' noted, "'Dynasty' wasn't just about big hair, big shoulders and catfights in the lily pond. The ABC series was the fictional libretto of the Reagan presidency — the triumph of a glittering gerontocracy. Most eras look innocent in a rearview mirror, but nowadays (in 2006), especially, those bad old days of plutocrats, ladies who lunch and junk-bond buccaneers look almost sweet. 

"Insider trading was their white-collar crime; Grenada was the closest they came to war. 'Dynasty' might not have changed television history, but its enormous success was itself a milestone. This nighttime soap would have been fun anytime, but it had a special piquancy because it so campily mirrored the extravagances and vanities of the early years of the Reagan White House." 

Larry King, 2006: What was Aaron Spelling's magic as a producer?

Linda Evans: He knew people. He had a sense of people and I think because he understood people he could give them what they wanted to see.

Joanne Ostrow of the 'Denver Post' reminded, "In its emphasis on excess and the celebration of diva-dom, television's 'Dynasty' verged on camp, and knew it. Aaron Spelling and company gave the Reagan-era public what it craved, winking at the same time. 'Dynasty' began at a time when the Big Three networks still held a monopoly on mainstream entertainment, if not taste.

"During the 1980s, before the fragmentation of its audience, television could still amass 40 million viewers for a regular network drama. (It was noted by the start of the 1985-86 season some 100 million people in 90 countries watched 'Dynasty' each week). In the post-'Dynasty' melodramas, the demographics skewed younger, the clothes grew skimpier and the sex more graphic, but the soap-opera roots were the same. Good and evil battled for supremacy, with scheming family members, heightened emotions and a thick overlay of eroticism.

"Of course, 'Dynasty' is a relic from a time that no longer exists. But the campy underside is alive and well – if living in less opulence – on 'Desperate Housewives'. The suburban women of Wisteria Lane display the same florid passions, the same flair for scheming and cattiness, and the same emphasis on appearances, though in a lower tax bracket."

On 'Dynasty', Blake Carrington was "the man-in-the-middle" of tussles between two fearless women in their pursuit of love, money and power, Krystle Grant and Alexis Morrell. Joan Collins as Alexis explained in 1982, "It worries me that people think Alexis Carrington is who I am. I'd like the audience to think I'm slightly sending up the whole thing when I'm acting. When I was offered the part I couldn't wait to do it. I like the thought of playing a character people will love to hate.

"And I know I play those roles well. I've done them since I was 16 when I made my first movie. I played a wayward girl in 'I Believe In You' (1952). The trouble is, if people find out that I'm not really like that, then it confuses them. I came to Hollywood in the really lean days (1955) when television was just starting to take over." 'Dynasty' was credited for making Joan Collins a household name and one of TV's top draw cards.

One commentator told 'The Los Angeles Times' in 1985, Linda Evans was probably the female TV star "best liked by women." At 40, Linda Evans told the press in 1982, "I'm a very strong person. People don't realize that, and I didn't give myself credit for it until recently. Somehow, things just come later in life for me … I represent several important issues. I am older, attractive, single and good. I'm one of the first women to say you're not too old for anything at 40. I've gone through some incredible tests and come out on top. There are millions out there who can relate to that."

In creating the hair with the look of the '80s, Gene Shacove styled Linda Evans with "blunt-cut, shoulder-length hairstyle (that) perfectly frames her face." At the time only 10% of all roles were played by women over 40. Timothy Blake chaired Screen Actors Guild's Women's Conference Committee told 'The Los Angeles Times' in 1987, "In the past few years we have been fortunate to have shows like 'Falcon Crest,' 'Dynasty' and 'Knots Landing' that feature adult women as main characters."

Pamela Sue Martin played Alexis' daughter, Fallon, made the comment, "Bitchery is superficial quality. I like to think there's depth to Fallon, a soul. She's fighting for what she believes in and lashes out at anyone who threatens her." Esther Shapiro insisted, "'Dynasty' is like a glass of champagne between friends and lovers. Nothing more. I think we need fantasy in our lives. Fun and fantasy shows are not the place for (topical issues). I don't believe in trivialising such important subjects. It would be irresponsible to deal with them on this show."

In September 1988, costume designer Nolan Miller launched his first ready-to-wear retail line. The collection included 80 outfits for day, dinner and evening, as well as a select few negligees. Speaking to 'The Los Angeles Times' from his salon in Beverly Hills in 1990, Nolan Miller made known, "It's very difficult to be taken seriously in another medium. The New York press and designers say, 'Oh well, he's a costumer.' But I made a mistake. I made subtle, understated clothes and every store, even Bergdorf Goodman, wanted sexy dresses for women with perfect figures."

Scott Pierce recounted in 2006, "'Dynasty' was a really good bad show for a while. Hey, I can remember getting together with a bunch of my college friends — male and female — to watch the show back in the early '80s. We'd laugh, we'd yell at the TV, we'd cheer for Krystle, we'd hiss at Alexis. It was the ultimate guilty pleasure. 'Dynasty' was addictive while going way over the top at being campy, ridiculous, fluffy entertainment that wallowed in excess. 'Dynasty' became so much a part of the pop culture that a 1983 episode featured cameo appearances by former President and Mrs. Ford and former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger (playing themselves)."

Blog Archive