20181127

KATE AND MARCIA

'Charlie's Angels' was nominated for Best Drama at the Golden Globe Awards in 1977. Between 1977 and 1980, Kate Jackson got nominated three times for Best Acting on 'Charlie's Angels'. She was also nominated twice for Best Acting at the Emmy Awards. "That show seemed to throw us not only into every TV set every week but into every magazine on people's coffee tables," Kate Jackson recounted. 

Leonard Goldberg added, "I think, for whatever reason, when 'Charlie’s Angels' came along, it hit a nerve with women in the audience - women of all ages. And the guys didn’t mind looking at them either. It seemed to become part of the fabric of our society. Nothing we envisioned when we first started the show…" Director Allen Baron observed, "It was the right thing at the right time and it was just luck out."

'Charlie's Angels' first went on air four months before the 4th of July, 1976, the year Americans celebrated 200 years of independence. Kate Jackson continued, "People took everything we did as so important. There was too much hype … That was an extraordinary circumstance. Being in the middle of it was like a whirlwind. People were constantly milling around my house. I'd be sitting in my living room and flashbulbs would start to go off outside."

Toward the end of the 1977-78 TV season, Kate Jackson gave herself a deadline, "When I'm 31 (born 1948), and that's in a couple of years, I want to get married. I still believe very much in marriage but nevertheless, I want to time everything right. I don't want to mess everything up. I don't want to make some poor man unhappy, and I want to bring my kids up properly.

"I would like to be a good mother but still have my career. Once I have a family though, I definitely will slack off a little. But as for love and marriage to any particular person, that's not in my mind at the moment. I'm seeing a few nice guys (including Warren Beatty, Nick Nolte, Scott Hyland, Eddie Albert jr, Sam Elliot) but I'm not going to talk about them. Whether I marry one of them is yet to be seen. Frankly, not one of them has asked me yet."

Of one suitor, "We're not talking about marriage. Perhaps that's how it will be for a while, despite my good marriage intentions. In the end, possibly work and marriage don't mix. I see that all around Hollywood. Since the series started I've stopped smoking, drinking and believe it or not, staying out late. My sex life ain't so hot either. My current sins are confined to soda pop - but one way and another, I’m sure having fun."

Before Meryl Streep was cast to play Joanna in the 1979 movie, 'Kramer vs. Kramer', Kate Jackson, Faye Dunaway and Jane Fonda were considered for the part. Producer Alan J. Adler mentioned, "Kate Jackson had a very high recognition factor, something like 97%. You want a woman doing a role who is well-known. The audience loves her..."

Another popular entertainer at the time was Marcia Hines. In 1970, Marcia Hines came to Australia after she answered Jim Sharman's advertisement in a Boston newspaper auditioning black people to join the Australian cast of the musical 'Hair'. She was a shy, scared 16-year-old, who was unmarried and three-month pregnant. "When I got here, hell, I was frightened. I was on my own. I had to look after myself, and I knew nothing," Marcia recalled.

Unbeknownst to many, Marcia Hines eventually rose to become the country's Queen of Pop and an Australian singing success story. In 1977, Marcia Hines and drummer Mark Kennedy decided to split after two and a half years together. Of a reconciliation, "It is never the same when you go back into a relationship." In November 1977, the song 'You' topped the chart. At the time, Marcia's manager Peter Rix told the press, "I think they are just enjoying a holiday (or vacation) apart at the moment. When the novelty wears off, they'll probably realize something is missing. They are still the best of friends and continue to work together."

Marcia Hines first played Mary Magdalene in 'Jesus Christ Superstar' until February 1974. Speaking to the press in August 1983, Marcia Hines explained playing Mary Magdalene in the revival of the musical, "There's only one part that a woman can play in 'Superstar' and that's Mary. I only sing three songs so I get fidgety. But I like to sit on the side of the stage and with (co-star) Trevor (White) perform. You can never stop learning. I like theater – I like the discipline it teaches you – so I'm really glad they've asked me to do it again."

In a frank interview with reporter Jill Fraser in May 1983, Marcia Hines, then 29, stated, "I've been a very independent person for the past 16 years (since 1968). I was a single mother at 16 and I had to learn to cope on my own. If there is any struggle to come within our relationship (with Frenchman Andre de Carpentry), it will come when I have to give up a little of my independence. 

"My independence has been my strength and that strength has kept me on my own two feet over the years. If I give it up, I won't be the same person. To remain independent – and married – is going to be a very difficult job. The easiest thing I could have done was to get married and stop working, but I never had any thoughts about marriage being the comfortable way out. 

"Andre married me the way I am and we both accepted each other for what we are. He was one of the few men I've gone out with who was in favor of working wives. The others were prepared to keep me, but Andre realizes how important my work is to me. Having a baby is like continually unwrapping some wonderful present. There's always so much joy associated with it. 

"It's early on in the piece for Andre and I just yet (at the time they spent more time apart than together), but I do look forward to such a time. I feel confident about having a child on my own again (daughter Deni Hines was 12 at the time), but having to share that child with someone will be a very new experience and a very difficult one for me. I just adore children and I never fall into the trap of underestimating them. Deni kept me sane when I was younger. Being young and having the responsibility of a baby was a steadying influence on me. In retrospect, it was a nightmare. But I'd do it all over again if I had to."


Blog Archive