20181130

MARGARITA AND MARIACHI

In the sensational 1981-82 TV season premiere of 'Dynasty', Alexis returned to Denver to deliver a "shocking testimony from the past and revenge that could shatter the dynasty." For the previous 16 years before 1981, viewers learnt Alexis went into exile, living in Paris, Rome, Monte Carlo and Acapulco. In another scene on 'Dynasty', Alexis' daughter, Fallon, was seen on a tree.

Talking to Jeff, Fallon said, "I used to sit up here when I was a kid, surveying my happy little world. Do you remember what a fun place it used to be then? … It's all ruined now. Ever since she came here (not the city, the Carrington estate)." To clarify which "she", Fallon then said, "I'm talking about Krystle (her stepmother). That wedding. That damn wedding. If that hadn't happened, Steven (her brother) would still be in New York, Ted Dinard (his lover) would still be alive, that miserable trial (over his death) wouldn't have happened, and my mother would have stayed put with her margarita-and-mariachi crowd instead of coming back here (to Denver) to haunt my father."

Speaking to the 'Houston Chronicle' in 2014, Raul Medina, the lead of Mariachi Emperadores de Mexico, a third-generation musician from Mexico, explained that "Mariachi music and Mexican food go hand in hand. They're both part of our culture and traditions. It represents our folklore, what it really means to be Mexican." Reporter Marilisa Sachteleben elaborated in May 2015, "People enjoy Mexican folk music such as 'mariachi', which combines salsa and polka dance music. It's played on high-spirited accordion, guitar and violin. Band members in traditional Mexican costume. Mariachi is joyful, exciting music and always accompanied by regional dance, such as 'Baile Folklorico'."

In a conversation with 'New Mexico Magazine' in 2018, Karina Vela, founder of The Mariachi Margaritas, told reporter John Clary Davies, "I was born in Mexico, just across the border. In Mexico, surprisingly, people don’t appreciate mariachi music as much as how we do it here in the US. I didn’t know about mariachi until we moved. I was put in mariachi class my first day of school, and I didn’t want to be there. That first week, I fell in love.

"The music, the songs — ever since then I’ve been in love with mariachi and it’s been a part of my life. People think that it’s just a group that plays at weddings, or for drunk people. In reality, there’s much more to it — different music styles, romantic music, festive music, music from every state of Mexico. If you’re sad, there’s a mariachi song that will hit the spot. If you’re in love, or happy, there’s a mariachi song for that."

Joey Guerra reported, "Mariachi music originated in Mexico, and modern-day crowds use it as a celebratory soundtrack for weddings, birthdays, anniversaries and other life events. It's especially popular on Cinco de Mayo, which is celebrated widely in the US and commemorates the Mexican army's victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. It is not to be confused with September 16, Mexican Independence Day, a national holiday in Mexico."

Marilisa Sachteleben added, "'Cinco de Mayo' is Spanish for 'Fifth of May' is a Mexican cultural heritage festival. It has parallels to the US Fourth of July in that it commemorates a military victory. Cinco de Mayo is celebrated primarily just in the Pueblo region where is it known as El Dia de la Battale de Puebla. Battle of Puebla Day honors the remarkable defeat of French forces by the smaller Mexican army. The David and Goliath story is much-loved in Mexico."

Violinist Stephanie Tunchez stated, "People want to have a great time, and mariachi music helps with that ambience. My mom recommended I join the mariachi class. I had no idea what mariachi even was. She told me the music was like Selena's 'Tu Solo Tu' song and to give it a chance. If I didn't like it after one year, I could switch. I instantly fell in love with the music. It reminds me of country music. The lyrics tell stories of people's lives. I think people can relate to them, whether they're happy, sad or angry."

Margarita, comprised lime or lemon juice, triple sec or grenadine, and vodka, tequila, or rum, was regarded a tourist drink in Mexico which had become "so embedded into the American experience of going out for Mexican." The origins of the drink was unclear. However it had been suggested the first margarita beverage was concocted some time in 1948 in Acapulco by wealthy Dallas socialite Margarita Sames.

Joan Collins played Alexis. Speaking to Stephanie Mansfield of 'The Washington Post' in 1985, the year 'Dynasty' became the most popular of all prime-time series, Joan Collins maintained, "I wouldn't dream to presuppose that every woman wants to be like me. I think that I might be the kind of woman that some women would like to be ... in a way."

Then 52, Joan Collins remarked, "I think there's a certain attitude that I have in certain things that a lot of women admire. I think I have a sort of fighting spirit. Not a scrapper in that way. I don't like scraps. But in terms of having an innate belief in myself, which can't be negated by other people's opinions of me, so that that innate belief in what I can do and my potential has nurtured me through the years in which I was not particularly successful.

"I think I have a very good grounding in life. I had a solid upbringing, a very strict father and a very loving mother. I didn't come into this business all wide-eyed, thinking it was going to be fairyland. I knew it was going to be tough. It happens that I got to be very successful when I was very young, had my success, then sort of waned for a while.

"But it was good because I had time to have children and then I was lucky to be able to come back - even though I had to deal with rejection a lot, and a lot of difficulty. Actresses over 40 are considered, you know, psshhhhht. Put in the slag heap. I felt very strongly that wasn't right. I consciously wanted to make a point for myself. Then I realized I was also perhaps making a point for other women, not just actresses."

At the time, "I've been married three times. It's something I find rather nerve-racking, I must admit. I consider the marriages were successful. I had beautiful children from them. People change, you know? You change as the decades change. I'm certainly much different now than I was when I was 19 or 20. I am a Gemini. I have many different sides. I've got all sorts of different facets, you see.

"I think the facet the public is most familiar with is the in-control, slightly dominating, slightly assertive or aggressive, if you will, female. But that is not the way I am all the time. I have a certain amount of shyness. I think most actors do. I was very shy when I was a child. I think that could again be one of the reasons why the character I play on 'Dynasty' is popular. Although she's painted as a dire devil, she has a side that is quite warm and vulnerable and I think quite witty in a way.

"It's called acting. I based the character on a very good friend of mine who unfortunately died. She was a jet-setter. Very amusing, very interested in men and power, but very likable by both men and women. The part of Alexis I don't like particularly is the part the writers like. They're always writing in these nasty things for her to do, and saying how terrible she is. Four years ago, she blew up a gun at Krystle, who shouldn't have been riding a horse anyway when she was pregnant. I think she's Alexis probably made to be more bitchy … I think one of the things is the way I deliver the zingers (lacerating remarks) sometimes. I deliver quite a lot of zingers, which I like to do."

Blog Archive