20110911

1996

September 1996.

In sport, Steffi Graf won her 5th U.S Open championship. On TV, Melrose Place returned for its 5th season on the air. In music, Macarena (pronounced mah-kah-ray-nah) was listeners' most popular song. And on the big screen, The First Wives Club premiered.

When Steffi Graf won her 21st grand slam title, she not only had to overcome Hurricane Fran but a new generation as well. "It's good to know that the future is going to show up," Steffi said. However of the best woman tennis player at the time, runner up Monica Seles acknowledged, "Steffi clearly is number 1. Anyone can see that."

Macarena was the Spanish dance song recorded in 1993. When the song's Latin tune was remixed with American beat, it climbed - albeit slowly - to eventually become the first Spanish number 1 song on the American pop chart. An industry observer remarked at the time, "I thought we had a hit, but had no idea we had a phenomenon."

And in 1996, Melrose Place launched its official website at the Hard Rock Café. The show was regarded a "pop culture icon of the '90s."

Heather Locklear had been credited for making the Generation X era soap popular. She made the comment in 1993, "In my 20s, I played characters in their 20s. And the way I look, people still want to cast me younger than I am. I don't desire to do that. I'm sure in 10 years I will, but for now, I'd like to play my age and play my maturity a little bit."

Of her character, Josie Bissett expressed, "Personally, I preferred it when Jane was more grounded and sweet. Melrose can be so dramatic and the characters can get so crazy, which is fun, but I like to be the sane one of the group. Once Jane started losing it and turning crazy and bitchy, I didn't like her as much."

Blog Archive