20091020

JULIO IGLESIAS

His career had spanned over three generations.

"I'm the Latin artist who has been the most successful in history at representing the Latin culture. That's a title that I've earned after 35 years. The stylings of my words are immodest, but it's the truth," he had said.

His name - Julio Iglesias. The year - 1984. The song - "To All the Girls I've Loved Before". It was that song he finally broke through in America.

Julio stated in 1982, "The United States is the biggest market of all, and the biggest challenge....I know that many foreign-language artists have tried to crack the American market in the past 20 years, and none has been able to do it... "

On reflection, he observed, "I began to discover what America is, and I realized that it is a mixture of everybody I was already singing for: Irish, Italian, Jewish, French."

Summer, 1963. He recounted, "Well, I had an accident when I was 20 years old. And I was in hospital for, in fact, a year and a half. I was paralyzed, because I have a compression in my nerve system.

"And they give me guitar because my arms were not very strong, so to practice and to do like therapy. And I write. I start to write songs. And I became a bad singer.

"And I start to learn. I start to learn, you know, because everything in life is learning. And I learn to this little hobby, like a big profession. And I can't be without this profession. I love to sing."

Five years ago Julio Iglesias released "Divorcio", his 77th album.

He made the comment, "When the painting is hanging on your wall for a long time, you don't notice it. You get tired of it, even if it's a Picasso. When the next generation inherits the painting, they sell it. I don't want to be sold."


Blog Archive