20091010

LESLIE CARON

"I couldn't write in French. My French is very rusty," actress Leslie Caron once confessed.

In her autobiography, Thank Heaven, Leslie noted, "It's surprising how candid and childlike Tennessee (Williams) was in person. As a matter of fact, I went on the guidelines of two people in writing this book. One was Tennessee's open candor, and the other was Colette, who is one of my favorite writers...."

Leslie Caron was living in Paris at the time of the second World War. "I remember the Occupation very well," she remarked.

Gene Kelly discovered her. "We Parisians knew who Gene Kelly was, of course," she voiced. Leslie rose to stardom appearing in classics such as An American In Paris and Gigi.

However behind the scenes, she conceded, "I didn't enjoy or use Hollywood and maybe that's what saved me....The scope of it, the artificiality of it was something I shied away from."

In 1993, Leslie was awarded France's prestigious Legion of Honor. She recalled, "... There were nine of us.... There I was in the middle of them. (François) Mitterrand spoke about each person for 10 minutes, without a single note, about their lives and careers and works.... He thanked me for having represented France to the world for years..."

Of the stars she had worked with, she described Rudolf Nureyev as "a very gentle soul...he gave sentiment to his pas de deux and there really was rapport when he danced with a girl...."

In the '80s, prime time soaps were regarded the "graveyard" for out-of-work big screen stars. Leslie Caron guest starred in three episodes on the series Falcon Crest. She described her character as the "Gallic Joan Collins".

She said her character, Nicole Sauguet "seemed like a good part...and the price was right!"

In an interview to promote the film Le Divorce in 2003, Leslie made the observation, "I know a lot of Americans in Paris who have married Frenchmen. I know a whole bunch of journalists and a lot of them have married French people. I see that they keep bringing up books on their experience, the clash of civilizations, the clash of personalities."

She pointed out in 1997, "I've got out of several marriages for the same reason (independence). I cannot stand to be subservient to a man.... Basically I just don't like rich men, who have the habit of giving orders."


Blog Archive