20160810

DYNASTY

It was reported the 1991 TV mini-series 'Dynasty: The Reunion' was kept under wraps by one network to derail another network's telecast of the baseball World Series. "The whole script has taken a different twist because a couple years (between May 1989 and October 1991) have passed and a lot of lives have changed," Linda Evans told Diane Joy Moca of the 'Los Angeles Daily News'. "And they are picking up after the changes and showing you what happens. 

"It was strange in the beginning, to be back doing it. Then you fall in. If they (the audiences) love it, we'll come back." Aaron Spelling also acknowledged, "I think that (come back) depends on whether the audience accepts this one. It also depends on ABC. But we have not given up hope that 'Dynasty' will never die. It may continue forever." Kathleen Beller recounted, "I could only go to the supermarket when 'Dynasty' was on because that was the only time I could go without being mobbed."

'Dynasty: The Reunion' told a story of "criminal conspiracy to buy up America" in which the American businessman had become an "endangered species" because "we are throwing ourselves into unholy alliances with foreign companies but partners who have agendas all their own." The result: Part I of 'The Reunion' attracted 23 million viewers representing a rating of 16.8% and a 25% share of the audience. 

At the same time, the National League Playoff (Game 2) attracted 30.8 million viewers representing a rating of 21.7% and a 34% share of the audience. Part II of 'The Reunion' attracted 20.4 million viewers representing a rating of 15.3% and a 23% share of the audience. At the same time, the National League Playoff (Game 3) attracted 32.9 million viewers representing a rating of 23.4% and a 39% share of the audience. 

Linda told Bob Remington, "It was wonderful that I had lines so I could wear the clothes. I would hate to have done the whole thing in a bed with everyone talking about me." Nolan Miller pointed out, "Well, for 4 hours, 42 changes between Linda and Joan (Collins) is very minimal. If you remember when 'Dynasty' was going full blast (attracting 42% share of the audience), we were making anywhere from 25 to 50 changes a week for the women in the show." John Forsythe maintained, "We're vastly different in every conceivable way from 'Dallas'. They have money but they don't show it, we show it."  

"In the first few weeks of the 1982-83 television season, its ('Dynasty') audience share has been soaring above the 40% mark," Ron Alridge reported at the time. John Forsythe told Ron he believed Aaron Spelling had "his finger on the pulse of America" because Aaron understood the hard times during the Depression of the 1930s. "Every recession needs an escape," Aaron had said. "People are starving for glamor."

On reflection, Esther Shapiro remarked, "The glitz and the pomp of the Reagan years characterized 'Dynasty' in a way." However on 'The Reunion', "we kind of wanted to reflect the changes that went on between the '80s and '90s." In 1989, then President George Bush enlisted Linda Evans for the role of chair for the Take Pride in America national campaign to raise awareness in preserving the country's natural resources and to promote volunteerism. "Don't wait for the government or someone else to take care of the environment," Linda urged. "We wrecked it, we can clean it."

Back in 1986, Linda made the plea, "I wish the press would stop trying to marry me off." In 1990, Linda starred in 'I'll Take Romance', about a San Francisco TV station trying to run a promotion to increase ratings with the male audience. The promotion would allow 5 winners (or men) to win a date with the station's top anchorwoman. However the anchorwoman fell ill hence the weather reporter played by Linda Evans was asked to substitute.

Set in San Francisco but filmed in Seattle because San Francisco was "too expensive" Linda Evans told Alan Markfield, "My agent has been sending me zillions of things to do ever since 'Dynasty' went off the air. Finally, he came up with this project that was just too good and sounded like too much fun to say no. I love television and it's certainly been very good to me. But there are many other things I want to do with my life."

Linda also told David Walstad, "It was a script I couldn't say no to. I was willing to go anywhere to shoot it. Part of the deal was, I get Tom Skerritt, the best leading man. Without him, I didn't think the project would have worked. We tend to get stuck in life's situations. 'I'll Take Romance' allows us to see how we get into patterns. We have to make life an adventure as opposed to getting through life. We need to make efforts to try new things. That's exactly what I did."

"I'll just say that Krystle is an ideal, rather than a real woman, and that's why audiences love her," John Forsythe made the comment. "And Alexis may be fun to watch, but everyday life, one couldn't stand her for more than a minute or 2. Alexis wouldn't last 2 minutes with me." Michael Nader offered, "I think when men watch 'Dynasty' they fantasize secretly about Alexis, at the same time they somewhat fear her. A woman like that – unless she's a politician – is somewhat frightening and new.

"But Krystle is what most men would like their wives to be like. Then again, most men would like to have girlfriend on the side – say, someone like Ali (MacGraw) or Heather (Locklear) or Pamela Bellwood or Diahann (Carroll). Or all of them, a harem! I like to think that no one woman is a copy of another. And face it, women are more individualistic than men are. They have more options open to them, except economically (in those days). Of course, on our show, no one has money problems … or sex problems. And there's the key to why people tune in to 'Dynasty', week after week after week."

Gordon Thomson reasoned, "I think a happy medium, somewhere between Alexis and Krystle, is what I'd be happiest with. But frankly – a bit younger. I think most guys aren't attracted to older women in a way other than sexual. It's hard to build a practical, viable life that way, especially if you don't live in Hollywood." Jack Coleman expressed, "Well, you realize my character is less interested in women than the others are… but I think it's hard to generalize whatever group of people you're discussing.

"I think Heather Locklear is a California-style beauty, and most men would be attracted to her. But then there's the dark, tempestuous individual that Kathleen Beller represented. How to choose? Questions, questions, always questions! Anyway, being a blond myself, I do tend to favor dark-haired females. As for other attributes, that's extremely personal, and probably not fit for publication." John James stressed, "We're all just friends on 'Dynasty'. No real-life romances, I'm afraid. I think it's because the stakes are so high, the work's so hard, and each actor is quite ambitious. So we definitely separate our work and personal lives. But if the viewers want to fantasize about me with a particular 'Dynasty' star, then be my guest."

Blog Archive