20160807

CYBILL SHEPHERD

Louie and Corinne were inseparable for 26 years in the 1989 movie, 'Chances Are'. Then an accident sent Louie to heaven where he became a soul, or "between bodies" until he was reborn in the person of Alex, whom Corinne got to meet 23 years later. Directed by Emile Ardolino of 'Dirty Dancing', Cybill Shepherd insisted, "I played the movie absolutely straight.

"I played it like heavy drama, basically, because if you didn’t believe somehow that I was really feeling those things, the comedy wouldn’t work." Reviewer Robert Dimatteo of 'Newspaper Enterprise, Association' remarked, "Robert Downey, Jr. steals the picture. There’s no arrogance marring this young actor’s appeal, no self-consciousness spoiling his considerable cuteness. He even shows a gift for slapstick." 

Memphis-born Cybill Shepherd (her name comprised grandfather Cy, and father Bill) enjoyed a Cinderella-like success in her acting career. Cybill (pronounced Sybill) was 18 when she was chosen the 1969 America's Model of the Year. At the time Cybill reportedly earned around $500 a day modeling. Television commercials work would soon follow. In 1971, Peter Bogdanovich selected Cybill to appear in her first major motion picture, 'The Last Picture Show' after seeing Cybill on the cover of a magazine.

In his times, F. Scott Fitzgerald believed there were no second acts in American careers. On reflection, Cybill told Lynn Elbert of the Associated Press in 1995, "When you achieve that success again (the TV series 'Cybill' 1995-98), as I've been blessed to do essentially to have a 3rd act … in a career this long, it's an extraordinary thing. You have to have been where I've been - to have been totally forgotten and doing nothing - to appreciate it. The only job I could get (in those years) was regional (theater) and playing jazz clubs and singing outside New York and L.A."

"I've ridden the roller coaster. It's nerve-racking," Cybill told Ron Miller of 'Knight-Ridder Newspapers' in 1995. "If Peter Bogdanovich hadn't fallen in love with me on the cover of 'Glamour' magazine, I might have done the film with Roger Vadim where I was killed off in the first 10 seconds in the high-school bathroom and that could have been my career beginning."

Between 1985 and 1989, Cybill Shepherd could be seen in the popular TV series, 'Moonlighting'. "It is something that you think about that for every door that opens, there are doors that close and make things much more difficult," Cybill told Stuart Bykofsky of 'Knight-Ridder Newspapers' at the time. "I feel like I’ve become fully myself for the first time, and become empowered and accepted my own power, really, with this show ('Moonlighting'), for the first time. No matter how many times you’ve been a has-been, it still is a paralysing experience, success. There's always that 'Will it last?' There's always that fear the next time I go down, the pain of it. So I put on this great face that it doesn’t hurt me. I’m indomitable."

In 1985, Cybill Shepherd and Don Johnson starred in the NBC mini-series, 'The Long Hot Summer', a TV remake of the 1958 movie classic. It was understood the 4-week filming of 'The Long Hot Summer' was 6 days behind schedule and $500,000 over budget. Don Johnson said of Cybill Shepherd, "She's irrepressible. I call her a brat. She is an actress with depth that's never been tapped. If anybody ever does tap that source, the sky’s the limit."

In October 1987, Cybill gave birth to twins Ariel and Zack. 'Moonlighting' producer Glen Gordon Caron told the press, "In our show, one of the strengths has been our ability to surprise viewers. Cybill got married (to Bruce Oppenheim) and pregnant and now (back in February 1988) the country is a little bit ahead of us for the first time. The whole country seemed obsessed with her pregnancy, so the only way to explain her absence was to indeed make her (Maddie Hayes) pregnant; I don't think we had a choice."

Cybill made the point to Gregg Phillips in 1986, "There are a lot of ways to control a woman. Some women are controlled by sex. Some by power. Some by a liberal-arts education. Marriage is a male invention to control women. I know that, it's the truth. But I love marriage. When I was married it was wonderful to have that communication, but somehow there's always confinement in it. A man should be able to have 5 kids, a wife and a mistress … and a woman should be able to have a lover."

Cybill also disclosed, "Sinning in the south was so wonderful. I was brought up with the strong tradition that you didn’t make love until you were married. When it finally happened, you did it with a sense of The Act being important." As filming of the 4th season of 'Moonlighting' resumed in June 1987, one crew member told the press, "There’s no way she can hide it now – unless they do every scene with her sitting down.

"Her face is already rounder and there’s still several months to go before delivery. So they are setting it up so she can become pregnant as a result of her last liaison. A decade ago it would have been an absolute certainty. Unmarried mothers were not fashionable. But Maddie is her own woman and working, unmarried mothers are pretty common these days."

"I'm not saying I don’t like men as lovers," Cybill told 'TV Guide' in 1994. "It's just that I never met a man I wanted forever. My whole life I’ve gone from man to man. It's just time for me not to. It's time for me to be alone and not to be afraid of being alone. I try to keep an open house for my ex-husbands (David Ford and Bruce Oppenheim), and I worked really hard (at it) because we have children together (3). Husbands come and go, but fathers are forever. It’s so important to children that you be able to relate to the father."

Blog Archive